Appearing in "Four Against the Gods"
Synopsis for "Four Against the Gods"
In an attempt to help the Silver Surfer escape Earth and return to his home planet, Doctor Strange inadvertently transports himself and his compatriots from the Valley of the Undying Ones to the Realm of the Nameless One. There, they find and rescue Barbara Norriss, previously sacrificing herself to save Strange. The group is caught in a violent maelstrom which sucks them towards a hole in the macrocosm.
Thanks to the efforts of Namor, Silver Surfer, and the Hulk, who consolidated the feat to save them when enraged enough shouting that he would hold its epicenter forever, the five manage to escape their fate only to confront the Nameless One. The Nameless One is revealed to be in collusion with Barbara; whose loneliness has driven her to mate with the creature and dupe her former friends.
A battle ensues, culminating in Strange and the Surfer trapping the three-headed Nameless One in his own snare. Unwilling to leave Barbara, Strange uses his magic to release her from the monster- only to discover that she has gone insane.
Sensing that they have now passed beyond the barrier around Earth placed there by Galactus to imprison the Surfer, Strange returns the group to Earth. Angered by finding he is still trapped and feeling somewhat betrayed, the Surfer departs. Doctor Strange ponders the disastrous mission and his suitability for the role of leader of the Defenders...
- Cover: Silver Surfer figure by John Buscema (pencils) and Sal Buscema (inks).
- This issue contains a letters page, Defenders Dialogue. Letters are published from Tim Pouncey, Lawrence Schick, and Delores Temble.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story#1023-Z.
- This issue is reprinted in comics and books, see references for more info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Defenders Vol 1 3 on the forums
- Images from Defenders Vol 1 3
|Like this? Let us know!|