Appearing in "Four Against the Gods"
- 🢐 Silver Surfer (Norrin Radd) 🢒
- Calizuma (Referenced)
- Warrior Wizards
- Galactus (Galan) (Mentioned)
- Hoggoth (Invoked)
- Oshtur (Invoked)
- Neptune (Invoked)
- Clea (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- Dorma (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- Shalla-Bal (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- Jarella (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- Cyttorak (Invoked)
Races and Species:
- Atlantean-Human Hybrids
- Faltine Hybrids (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- Atlanteans (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- K'aitians (Illusion or holographic simulation)
- Eye of Agamotto
- Cloak of Levitation
- Power Cosmic
Synopsis for "Four Against the Gods"
Doctor Strange takes the Silver Surfer and the Defenders into another dimension in an attempt to free the Surfer from Galactus' barrier. They encounter the Nameless One and free Barbara Norriss. They fight the Nameless One and defeat him before returning to their home dimension. However, the Surfer is still trapped on Earth and Barbara has gone insane from the ordeal.
In an attempt to help the Silver Surfer circumvent Galactus' barrier and return to his home planet, Doctor Strange brings the Defenders and the Surfer into another dimension where the barrier does not exist. However, he inadvertently transports them from the Valley of the Undying Ones to the Realm of the Nameless One. There they find and rescue Barbara Norriss, who had previously sacrificed herself to save Strange. The group is then caught in a violent maelstrom which sucks them towards a hole in the macrocosm.
Thanks to the efforts of Namor, Silver Surfer, and the Hulk, the five manage to escape their fate only to see their loved ones now imprisoned within an ethereal force. Before they can attempt to save them, they vanish and it is revealed to be just an illusion created by the Nameless One. Barbara has joined with The Nameless One, whose loneliness has driven her to mate with the creature and dupe her former friends.
A battle ensues, culminating in Strange and the Surfer trapping the three-headed Nameless One in his own snare. Unwilling to leave Barbara, Strange uses his magic to release her from the monster only to discover that she has gone insane.
Sensing that they have now passed beyond Galactus' barrier around Earth, the Silver Surfer tells Strange to return the group to their dimension. However, upon returning they discover that they are still on Earth. Angered by finding he is still trapped and feeling somewhat betrayed, the Surfer departs. Doctor Strange ponders the disastrous mission and his suitability for the role of leader of the Defenders.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story#1023-Z.
- On the cover, the Silver Surfer figure was penciled by John Buscema and inked by Sal Buscema.
- This issue contains a letters page, Defenders Dialogue. Letters are published from Tim Pouncey, Lawrence Schick, and Delores Temble.
The story references: