Appearing in "War Below the Waves!"
- Avengers (Only in flashback)
- Imus Champion (Only in flashback)
- Daredevil (Matt Murdock) (Only in flashback)
- Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff) (Only in flashback)
- Zzzax (Only in flashback)
- Mary Beth (First appearance)
- Doctor Jennings (First appearance)
- Grokko (Only appearance)
Races and Species:
- Atlantean-Human Hybrids
- Asgardians (Main story and flashback)
- Giant Squids
- Synthezoids (Only in flashback)
- Earth (Main story and flashback)
Synopsis for "War Below the Waves!"
Running into Hawkeye in the streets, the Defenders engage in a brief battle with the bowman, until it's realized that they're all on the same side. Explaining his recent troubles and leaving the ranks of the Avengers, Hawkeye likes the idea of the Defenders, and asks to join them.
Traveling to Dr. Strange's Sanctum, they are informed by Wong that Strange is not home. There they are visited by one of Namor's followers who informs them that Attuma is going to attack the surface world. Going to the beach where Attuma is launching his attack, the Defenders are deserted by the Hulk who does not wish to go into the water.
The group is captured along with marine biologist Prof. Jennings. Taken aboard Attuma's ship they are separated from Namor, and learn that Attuma is working with the Red Ghost, and that they plan to use the Ghost' knowledge of cosmic rays and Jenning's marine biology expertise to create a cosmic powered aquatic army to take over Atlantis. Val and Hawkeye manage to break out of their cells, however just before they can attack the Red Ghost, he sends Namor (who has been brainwashed) against them.
- As of this issue, Defenders becomes a monthly title.
- Script (story pages): plot by Englehart, script by Englehart pages 1-7 and Wein pages 8-19.
- This story is a continuation of the Hulk and Hawkeye's adventure in Incredible Hulk #166 (August 1973).
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story#1449-Z.
- This issue contains a letters page, Defenders Dialogue. Letters are published from Brian Earl Brown, Sgt. David Hull, and Curtis Collins.
- This issue also features a full page ad for Supernatural Thrillers #5.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Defenders Vol 1 7 on the forums
- Images from Defenders Vol 1 7
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|