The depowered mutants remained unaffiliated with any group, but some banded together to form groups like the Former Order of Mutants, a new formation of the New Warriors, or the terrorist group X-Cell.
Countless depowered mutants were also part of the Clan Akkaba or joined it in hopes of being saved by Apocalypse, but were eventually thanked and terminated by the Apocalypse Twins Uriel and Eimin, at least in the North Pole, Guatemala, and the Himalayas Akkaba communities.
Powers and Abilities
Little to none. Mostly physical mutations with no control over the psionic aspect of those, or no resistance to their impact. Also variable for repowered and pseudo-repowered mutants.
Variable. Most do speak fluent English.
Average Strength Level
Variable (human to superhuman).
Human and mutant intolerance and hatred.
Depowered by powers
The Scarlet Witch: Post-M-Day Depowered Mutants
Also see the list of Pans Mutants.
- Pans stands for Pass As Normal. These are former mutants who now appear completely human. Examples include Beak or Latonya Jefferson.
Also see the list of Rems Mutants.
- Rems is short for remnants. These are former mutants left with some artifact of their former powers such as horns, bone crests, wings or odd tentacles, loosing controls over them. Examples include Artie Maddicks, Marrow, Ned Ralston, and Blob. However, Elixir and Wolverine encountered two Dregs (see below) who seemingly still possessed their superhuman strength from their physical mutations.
Among the mutants affected, some of them lose part or totally of their powers or X-Genes. Except for the categories presented precedently, there was many different M-Day results. Quite similar to the Rems, some mutants kept their powers with a total loss of control over them, as Tony Romeo.
- Currently, the only referenced Dreg is Eva.
- The Dregs are also known on Earth-295 (the Age of Apocalypse), as being the less powerful class of mutants.
Rogue: Power absorption
Depowered by science: Cures and inhibitor weapons
Some depoweration weren't definitive states.
Contrary to other cures, this one doesn't affect the X-Gene, but instead target the brains, making the user unable to use his powers by brain-damaging him. He is so "depowered" in application, but theoretically still powered.
Reed Richards' creations
Magneto was seemingly proved to be restored with a mutant "genetic marker", as he stood on Earth during Raze's manipulations who expelled from Earth all humans and left the mutants (and aliens) there.
Reverted M-Day Spell
Chamber regained his powers and healed from his M-Day wounds after being infused with Apocalypse's blood by the Clan Akkaba. They stated that his powers would return along with the blood cure, but Wisdom's scientists stated that his powers were back, regarding to the energy readings they were recording.
And still a few others mutants have seemingly had their powers restored without explanation:
- Stacy-X, revealed to have been makeup
- Unus (in addition to his resurrection)
- Tarot (in addition to her resurrection)
Also see the list of Repowered Mutants by Unknown Source.
A few former mutants were re-powered by various processes. Some were re-powered by Apocalypse's science and torture: Polaris, Gazer, and Sunfire were re-powered by Apocalypse's celestial technology and turned into his Horsemen.
Polaris stated that her powers weren't back, but that Apocalypse did "something to [her,] gave [her] a semblance of what [she] used to have". However, it was stated by a Cerebra monitoring that Polaris had in fact been restored to the status of an X-Gene mutant.
Using the Terrigen Mists stolen from the Inhumans, Quicksilver was able to not only restore his own powers and those of others, but bring them back at an enhanced level. However, these re-powered mutants suffered side-effects, as that the powers often went out of control and eventually faded or resulted in the death of the mutant.
Also see the list of Re-powered Mutants
Effects by Mutant Subcategories
Mutants born through intercourse or bioengineering between humans and aliens were also depowered. Mutant hybrids that have been stated to be depowered include Hybrid (Dire Wraith) and Slipstream (Shi'ar).
- Also see the Post-M-Day Neo.
As far as we know, there has been no known effects on non-human mutants.
9.80665 m / s2
Roughly 78.09% Nitrogen, 20.95% Oxygen, 0.93% Argon, 0.038% Carbon Dioxide, and small amounts of other gases.
Less than 200
- Wiz Kid was thought to be depowered, while in fact he was still powered, having used his powers to lure S.H.I.E.L.D.