Dherk is an Atlantean Scientist, who now exists in an android body. One day Shanna is having delusions due to the effects of the mind-switching device. Ka-Zar has been stung and poisoned by a giant scorpion, and Shanna starts seeing a ghostly figure. The apparition reveals that he is an ancient Atlantean, and that Pangea is actually an outpost of Atlantis.
The ghostly figure reveals himself to be a scientist named Dherk; he predicted the city's eventual sinking, and due to this he is banished to Pangea.
Dherk body was placed in suspended animation. He is able to appear as a projection, but he can temporarily make himself tangible. Dherk first saw Shanna while she was in the mind transfer device and from there he has fallen in love with her.
Shanna does have mutual feeling for the man which is possibly also a result of the machine's influence. Shanna rejects his advances and stubbornly tries to drag Ka-Zar to the Aerians in the hope of a cure. Dherk appears later and informs her that they won't arrive in time. He tells her he possesses a cure kept near his physical body, but will only share it if she agrees to join him in his slumber. Out of desperation she agrees, and sets out. Due to the distance and freezing mountainous terrain, she passes out from exhaustion. Dherk manifests physically and saves her; after her pleas for help he reluctantly rescues Ka-Zar. Due to remaining physical too long Dherk eventually dies.
Dherk's consciousness is eventually revealed to have been transferred into an android duplicate of himself and continues to act as Caretaker of the Atlantean machines.
Powers and Abilities
Dherk possesses a number of superhuman powers ultimately derived from his artificial substance and metabolism. Dherk’s android body is functioning replica of a human body containing analogues to virtually all human organs, blood, and tissue, composed of an unrevealed synthetic organic-like substance.
- Superhuman Strength: Dherk’s body is stronger then an average human, but unclear of his exact strength level.
- Superhuman Stamina: Dherk’s is capable of exerting himself at peak capacity for about twenty-four hours.
- Superhuman durability: Dherk’s body is more durable than a human as it took his own power to rip his mechanical frame apart.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Dherk’s practical reaction time is more than twice as fast as that of an average human being.
- Computer Interface: The Dherk can communicate and interact with other computer systems.
- Superhuman Intelligence: Dherk was a genius as a human but in his android body he is capable of rapid analysis of huge amounts of data.
- Holographic Manipulation
He is not invulnerable as Belasco made him tear himself apart.
It is not known whether or not the android Dherk survived the apparent destruction of Pangea.