Appearing in "The Wondrous World of Dr. Strange"
- Xandu (First appearance)
- Xandu's two unnamed minions
- Demons of Darkness (Invoked)
- Satannish (Invoked)
- Watoomb (Mentioned)
- Hoggoth (Invoked)
- Oshtur (Invoked)
- Vishanti (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- New York City
- Spider-Man's Suit
- Spider-Man's Web-Shooters
- Wand of Watoomb (First appearance)
- Eye of Agamotto
- Cloak of Levitation
Synopsis for "The Wondrous World of Dr. Strange"
Spider-Man is disappointed to find all quiet during his night patrol of the city. However, elsewhere a man named Xandu interferes in a bar-room brawl, where two muscular men have challenged everyone present to a fight. Xandu hypnotizes them to feel no pain, and gives them limitless strength to accomplish their task: to steal the other half of the Wand of Watoomb, of which Xandu already possesses one part, from Dr Strange's mansion. As they break in, Dr. Strange tries to distract them, but he is quickly knocked out.
The two henchmen find the Wand of Watoomb and exit through a skylight, thereby attracting the attention of Spider-Man. Spider-Man goes down fighting, having been unaware of their supernatural strength: but even as he collapses he plants a Spider Tracer on one of them. Xandu receives the second half of the wand and re-unites it. He reveals that with the complete Wand he can create doorways to other dimensions and times, as well as see any place or object he desires. Spider-Man now interrupts Xandu, but is startled to find himself starting to disappear into an alternate dimension: he grabs the Wand of Watoomb, realizing its importance, and it goes with him. Xandu sends the two henchmen after Spider-Man to get it back. As they fight, Dr Strange regains consciousness and follows the henchmen's traces to Xandu’s lair.
The two do battle as the henchmen bring Spider-Man back to Earth. Xandu regains control of the Wand of Watoomb and uses it against Dr Strange, who, realizing he’s overpowered by the Wand, leaves his physical form and uses his ectoplasmic spirit to aid Spider-Man. At Strange’s suggestion, Spider-Man grabs an electric wire and shorts out the two henchmen’s hypnosis. Dr Strange returns to his physical form and fights alongside Spider-Man, who trips Xandu with his webbing and retrieves the Wand. The Wand is then drained of its mystic power by Dr Strange, who also wipes the memory - and thus the evil intentions - of Xandu.
- This issue is a fill-in reprint issue, as apparently Gene Colan became sick and was unable to finish his story in time.
- This issue contains a statement of Owenership, Management, and Circulation (last page).
- This issue also contains a letters page Strange Mails. Letters are published from Donald F. MacGregor, Ray Ellis, Marting Levin, F. James Mohl, Robert L, McAuley, Rick Shanklin, and Arthur Metz.
- This issue was skipped over in Doctor Strange Essentials Volume 2.
|Like this? Let us know!|