The Mayor of New York City on Earth-91600 is depicted as Koch. The Mayor knew that New York City was an unstable city, and he had personally seen conflicts between Puerto Rican and Polish people, and between Italians and the Irish-American crime gang "Westies". He devoted efforts to prevent those from happening during his terms.
After the Punisher accidentally killed Daredevil, crime boss Kingpin took the initiatve, knowing that superheroes would tend to focus on chasing Punisher instead of stopping crimes. Kingpin anonymously provided lawyer "Foggy" Nelson with information about corrupt City Councilment and politicians who were linked with organized crime - specifically, with gangs that were rival to Kingpin's, such as Injun Joe's and Maggia. Other assets of those gangs were murdered. Meanwhile, Kingpin's agent, Manhattan Borough president Theodore Mason, was perceived as a virtuous politican.Kingpin pressured the Mayor so that superheroes in general would sit on the fence instead of chasing Punisher. Koch summoned Captain America and Hawkeye from the Avengers and the Human Torch from the Fantastic Four, and told them he wanted superheroes to not track the Punisher; the Mayor even had obtained a Presidential Request to convince the heroes. The Captain accepted, but he failed to mention Koch that he could not contact many independent superheroes such as Spider-man, who would probably not keep out of the issue. Those heroes were even manipulated by the Kingpin.
This failed to solve Koch's problem with the corruption in the Town Hall as exposed by the press. Many councilmen claimed that the accusations were baseless; but at the same time, city officials were resigning, declining any comment to the press. Beleaguered, Koch saw demonstrations demanding his own renounce because the Mayor was perceived as unable to protect his own citizens. Meanwhile, Mason proposed reforms that boosted his own popularity.
Kingpin arranged for Nelson and Urich to be murdered (even thou they had bodyguards). After this, Koch officially resigned, claiming that he had lost the public's support that was neccessary for this work. This movement had little precedent in New York City. Mason then was appointed the new Mayor in the Plaza Hotel; but then Punisher understood who was pulling the string and sacrificed his own life to kill Mason and Kingpin.
- Ed Koch was Mayor of New York City between 1978 and 1989, being replaced by David Dinkins. His only appearance was the issue described in this article, What If? Vol. 2 #26, published in 1991 (during the Dinkins term); but the issue presented an alternate reality diverging from Earth-616 events in Daredevil Vol. 1 #183, published in June 1982 (During the Koch term). The depicted mayor is also much more similar physically to Koch than to Dinkins.
- 1 Appearances of Ed Koch (Earth-91600)
- Minor Appearances of Ed Koch (Earth-91600)
- Media Ed Koch (Earth-91600) was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Ed Koch (Earth-91600)
- Quotations by or about Ed Koch (Earth-91600)
- Character Gallery: Ed Koch (Earth-91600)
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|