Empedocles of Acragas was born circa 495 BCE.
He was the pupil of Pythagoras, and was the first to propose tht all mater was made up of four "roots" (later called "elements"): water, earth, air and fire. He called the "air" after the Bird Goddess Hera (possibly Oshtur).
He became a member of the Triumvirate, the group of three Greek philosopher sorcerers attempted to jointly fill the position of Sorcerer Supreme from 550 B.C. to 400 B.C. Empedocles was chosen to replace Pythagoras of Samos in 470 B.C. He was eventually defeated along with Pherecydes of Syros and Epimenides of Knossos by Caius of Lacedaemons.
He died circa 435 BCE.
- Appearances of Empedocles (Earth-616)
- Minor Appearances of Empedocles (Earth-616)
- Media Empedocles (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- Images featuring Empedocles (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Empedocles (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Empedocles (Earth-616)
- Empedocles (Earth-616) at Wikipedia.org
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
|Like this? Let us know!|