OverviewExcalibur was the fabled sword of the legendary King Arthur.
According to some legends, Excalibur was forged by witches on Avalon employing magicks and spells that predate humanity. To make Excalibur purer, the blacksmiths drew all the evil from it and imprisoned it within a second sword, the Chaos the Doombringer.
According to Merlin Demonspawn, Excalibur came into the possession of Grendel's Mother, who stored it in her lair alongside other treasures; and during his battle with her, Beowulf took up the sword and used it to vanquish her.
With the coronation of a new king fast approaching, Sir Brann was sent to Weyland's smithy to fetch a sword for the ceremony. While returning, Sir Brann encountered and attacked a time-traveling Iron Man. After subduing Brann, Iron Man took the sword and his horse, but both Iron Man and Sir Brann were later captured by the forces of Aislinn. The pair was able to escape and Brann even used the sword to slay a Dragon sent by Aislinn. During their final battle with Aislinn and her forces, the sword was lodged into a large stone and could not be removed. When Sir Brann informed the new king, the king decided to leave the sword where it was.
After the death of King Arthur, Sir Percy, the first Black Knight, took up Excalibur and wielded it along with the Ebony Blade. After wielding Excalibur for some time, Sir Percy summoned by the Lady of the Lake. She sent Sir Percy into the future to inhabit the body of his descendant Dane Whitman and bring back the Excalibur team to save Camelot from the Makluans. Though her magic, the Lady of the Lake brought Excalibur and Sir Percy to before Arthur's death and the fall of Camelot.
Just before King Arthur's actual death, he intended to return Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake; however, Sidestep sent a time-displaced and mentally manipulated Jean Grey (under the guise of Marvel le Fey) to take the sword for her own. It was only thanks to the intervention of a similarly time-displaced Shadowcat that Jean was thwarted and the sword returned to Lady of the Lake.
After traveling to the past with Iron Man, Doctor Doom lost a battle against King Arthur and Iron Man. Doctor Doom became obsessed with finding Morgan Le Fay and was eventually able to summon and imprison her. Doom demanded that le Fay cast a spell to fuse her shard of Excalibur with Doctor Doom's Armor. This spell allowed Doom to summon Excalibur and wield it. Doom also sought the sword's scabbard to amplify its power. However, Iron Man recovered the scabbard first, and together Doom and Iron Man had to fight off the monster guarding the scabbard. After the battle, Merlin took both the sword and the scabbard and returned them to the Lady of the Lake.
After using Excalibur to push back the Skrull invasion of Earth, Captain Britain returned it to the stone to wait for someone who would not use it to take a life. The sword and Merlin then called out to Dr. Faiza Hussain who was able to draw the sword from the stone. Faiza then joined MI-13 and took the codename Excalibur in honor of the legendary sword she wielded.
- Potency: The sword has the ability to kill anyone including gods, immortals, and spirits.
- Healing: The sword has the ability to heal auras.
- Durability: The sword was virtually indestructible.
- Invincibility: When armed with the sword, the user becomes undefeatable.
- Ares claimed that he possessed the fragments of the "original Excalibur."
- According to Merlin Demonspawn in Captain Marvel Vol 4 #21, Excalibur was the sword Beowulf used to vanquish Grendel's Mother. However, Scream: Curse of Carnage #5 reveals that she was actually defeated by Thor using Mjolnir.
- Occasionally, the Sword of Might has been referred to or confused with Excalibur. This may be because both were magical blade with strong associations to Merlin. Additionally, the Sword of Might was usually lodged in a stone when presented to potential Captain Britains. However, it has been confirmed that these are indeed two different and distinct swords.
- 72 Appearances of Excalibur (Sword)
- 7 Minor Appearances of Excalibur (Sword)
- 12 Media Excalibur (Sword) was Mentioned in
- 52 Images featuring Excalibur (Sword)
- Item Gallery: Excalibur (Sword)
Links and References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Iron Man #250
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Captain Britain and MI-13 #4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Black Knight (MDCU) #1
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Mystic Arcana: The Book of Marvel Magic #1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Captain Marvel Vol 4 #21
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Iron Man Vol 3 #59-61
- ↑ Black Knight #1-5
- ↑ Iron Man #150
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 New Excalibur #10-12
- ↑ Thunderbolts #169-170
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Excalibur XX Crossing #1
- ↑ Hulk Comic (UK) #42-63
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #4
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #2-3
- ↑ Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #3
- ↑ New Excalibur #10
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #2-4
- ↑ Black Knight #1
- ↑ Ares #3
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 Avengers Vol 3 #80
- ↑ Captain Britain #1
- ↑ Marvel Team-Up #65
- ↑ Excalibur Vol 2 #2
- ↑ Excalibur Vol 4 #6
- ↑ Captain Britain and MI-13 #2