The Exclusion, located "between six artificial molecules" beneath the South Pole in Antarctica, is a key location for the Eternals. It serves two functions for the Eternals; firstly, it is where they are resurrected when they die. Secondly, the Exclusion also serves as a prison for those Eternals deemed to have erred so greatly that they themselves are considered mistakes.
Soon after Ikaris was resurrected and Sprite was released, the wardens of the Exclusion were slaughtered and the Machines of Resurrection were rendered inoperative. Once the core systems of the Machine were reactivated, the Resurrection Engines came back online but the Jailers were not immediately resurrected.
Points of Interest
- Kronos (Excluded "K")
- Uranos (Excluded "U")
- Excluded "H"
- Excluded "E"
- Excluded "T"
- Sprite (Excluded "SP")
- Sui-San (Excluded "S") (Temporarily withdrawn)
- A'Lars (Excluded "A") (Temporarily withdrawn)
- The place in Antarctica where Eternals were resurrected was identified as "Olympia" in Eternals (Vol. 3) #4 (November, 2006). Olympia continued to be stated and shown as being in Antarctica throughout the rest of Eternals Volume Three (2006-2007) to and all of Eternals Volume Four (2008–2009). They were distinguished from each other in Eternals (Vol. 5) #1 (January 6, 2021), with the Antarctica location renamed "The Exclusion."
- When Ikaris was resurrected after the mass suicide, there were eight Eternals imprisoned within the Exclusion. Only five of the errors for which they were Excluded have been revealed.
- The first to be Excluded was "U" (Uranos), who thought that the best way to fulfill the Eternal Principles was to scour the Earth of anything but Eternals.
- The most recent was Sprite, who nearly murdered all of the Eternals when his attempt to free himself from his station of Eternal Child almost destroyed the Machine.
- Two other revealed sins were apocalyptic auto-deification and siring a creature that killed half the galaxy with a single finger click. It has been confirmed that that creature was Thanos and that his parents A'Lars and Sui-San are both Excluded.
- The specific crimes for which Uranos ("U"), Kronos ("K"), and A'lars/Mentor ("A") and Sui-San ("S") were excluded were, respectively, attempted omni-genocide, auto-deification, and unsafe lineage.
- The true identities and crimes of "E" and "H" and "T" have not yet been revealed but it is known that at least two of them (*^*&%*%) were excluded for attempting to rewrite the core identity of unspecified Eternal(s) which resulted in the *%*^% apocalypse.