- Just Keep Clobberin'!
- -- The Thing
Appearing in "The Power of the Sphinx!"
Races and Species:
- Ka Stone
- Ion Transporter
Synopsis for "The Power of the Sphinx!"Reed Sue and Ben were apparently killed when their ship was destroyed by Nova and The New Champions. In fact, the threesome was saved by Sue's force field, a fact that Nova and his colleagues soon realize. Nova himself rescues them and brings them on board. There Ben confronts the Sphinx. The Sphinx rises to the challenge and as Ben swings a punch he easily halts the blow and threatens to crush Ben's hand. Reed intervenes and peace is restored, but for only as long as it takes The Sphinx to dematerialise from the bridge in search the Living Computers of Xandar. Dr. Sun covets the computers' power for himself and follows the Sphinx, disappearing in his energy trail.
Reed tries to stop the robot but is cut down by the effects of the Skrull aging ray. In fact, all three members of the FF find their powers noticeably weakened, but Reed says he will not rest till he finds a cure. Back on Earth, Johnny returns to the Baxter Building and activates the ion ray to send him to Xandar. There he meets Queen Adora and is reunited with his colleagues. Reed brings Johnny up to speed on the activities of the Sphinx. Elsewhere, Prime Thoran has drawn the energy of the Living Computers and takes personal command of the Nova Corps in their fight against the Skrulls.
The FF and the New Champions, meanwhile, join forces against the Sphinx, whose contact with the Living Computers has turned him into a colossal being of seemingly unlimited power, which he demonstrates by thwarting the heroes' attack. Reed wonders why the Sphinx hasn't used the power to cure his curse of immortality and with that, the Sphinx harnesses the power of a distant sun and uses it against the FF. After easily withstanding individual attacks from all members of the FF and the New Champions, the Sphinx disappears into space with a chilling warning on is lips. Reed decides that the only course of action is to split the two teams up: the New Champions will stay and defend Xandar, while the FF enlist the help if the one being who can help them stand up against the Sphinx... Galactus!
- Nova last met the Thing when the pair battled the Monitors in Marvel Two-In-One Annual #3, to date that is the only member of the Fantastic Four that he has met.
- The Sphinx and the Fantastic Four last clashed in Fantastic Four Annual #12.
- Doctor Sun manages to slip away and it is not revealed until Fantastic Four #217 that he had downloaded his mind into the Xandarian world computer.
- The Fantastic Four catch up with the Sphinx on Earth in Fantastic Four #212.
- Shooter is credited as consulting editor.
- Cover art: layout by Cockrum.
- Multiple inkers worked on this issue. They are credited on page one as D. Hands ("Diverse Hands").
- This issue contains a letters page, Fantastic Four Fan Page. Letters are published from Robert Rusk, D. toney, Jeffrey Lowndes, Tom Ernst and Randall Moreau.
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story # LG435.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Fantastic Four Vol 1 208 on the forums
- 3 Image(s) from Fantastic Four Vol 1 208
- 1 Reprints of Fantastic Four Vol 1 208
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Fantastic Four Vol 1 
|Like this? Let us know!|