- I know that, darling. But... But I know a lot of other things now. Things I think I've been trying to put aside, to postpone... Something a lot like growing up, perhaps. The Psycho-Man did more than twist my emotions. He forced me to look into the deepest corners of my soul, forced me to confront who I am, what have I become. When we rocketed into the cosmic ray belt, when we gained our powers, we lost something. An innocence. A child-like naivety. For a long time I've tried to go on as if we're still the same people we used to be, As if I was still the same. But I'm not. Not after all that's happened to us. Not after what the Psycho-Man did to me. There is no Invisible-Girl anymore, Reed. She died when the Psycho-Man twisted her soul. From now on, I am the Invisible Woman!
- -- Sue Storm
Appearing in "Revolution!"
Synopsis for "Revolution!"
Enslaved by the Psycho-Man, the She-Hulk has been forced to toil in the Mines of Nunvidia deep below the Microverse realm of Sub-Atomica. When one of the other slaves kills one of the mine dwelling creatures for food, everyone scrambles toward it to try and get some food. When She-Hulk tries to get some as well she is kicked aside by Dutta, the mine's slave driver. When she begs him for food and water, Dutta obliges by forcing her to drink the muddy water run off from the mine. When Dutta is called away for other concerns, She-Hulk is helped up by Pearla, former queen of the realm. She-Hulk recalls that name from the Fantastic Four's files. When Pearla hears the FF's name she explained that they once helped free her kingdom from the tyranny of Doctor Doom years ago. She-Hulk learns that Pearla took over the kingdom after her father died until one day they were attacked by the Psycho-Man, who used his emotion casting Control Box to take over the kingdom. Apparently immune to the effects of the Control Box, Pearla fled into the once abandoned mines to hide and has remained hidden there since Psycho-Man re-opened them and forced her people to till away for the metal in the mines. When Pearla tries to get She-Hulk to leave, she is too afraid to go thanks to the emotional conditioning done to her by the Psycho-Man. The pair are then caught but Dutta who impales Pearla with his spear. Dutta gloats over She-Hulk's inability to do anything about it. However, Pearla manages to coax Jennifer out of her mental conditioning, and the She-Hulk lays out Dutta with a single punch. Unable to remove the spear for fear Pearla might bleed out, She-Hulk breaks off its shaft and is about to leave when they are suddenly surrounded by guards.
Above ground, inside Psycho-Man's lab, the other members of the Fantastic Four are searching their records to try and find what Psycho-Man had done with the She-Hulk. Johnny suddenly informs the others that the Psycho-Man managed to escape the cell they placed him in. Reed begins to blame himself for allowing their foe to leave. Sue tells them that they should split up and find their foe. As Reed searches his sense of doubt begins to increase until the Psycho-Man reveals himself and the fact that he has been using his Control Box on him the whole time. Suddenly, the box slips out of Psycho-Man's hands, by Sue, who reveals that she had been invisibly following her husband after deducing his doubts were caused by their foe. Sue then pins the Psycho-Man with her powers and chastises him for using his device to rape her emotionally, and that she is going to punish him for what he has done. When Psycho-Man asks if she is going to kill him, Sue tells him that she intends to pay him back in kind for what he has done.
Elsewhere, Johnny is racing through the facility when suddenly She-Hulk and Pearla come smashing through the door. Their happy reunion is cut short when they suddenly hear a blood curdling scream. When they try to find the source they run into Reed and Sue. Sue informs them that the Psycho-Man has gotten what he deserves and won't threaten anyone again.
With Psycho-Man defeated a celebration is had after Pearla is restored to control. When they wonder how she wasn't affected by their enemy's Control Box. Reed finds the solution: the headband that the queen is wearing is made out of a special ore that blocks out the signals from the Control Box. When Pearla explains that it was made from metal that came from the Nunvidia mines, they suddenly realize why the Psycho-Man was so intent on putting people to work in the once abandoned mine. When Pearla thanks the Invisible Girl for her help, Sue tells her that after recent events the Invisible Girl is dead. When Reed asks for her to clarify what she means, she tells them that she will not longer call herself the Invisible Girl, from now on she will be the Invisible Woman.
- Queen Pearla and her kingdom was saved from the tyranny of Doctor Doom by the Fantastic Four and Ant-Man in Fantastic Four #16.
- She-Hulk read about that adventure in the Baxter Building computer files before the Fantastic Four's headquarters was destroyed in Fantastic Four #278.
- What Sue did to the Psycho-Man is not revealed, although Impossible Man Summer Vacation #2 (his next appearance) reveals that she overdosed him on fear, making him frightened of just about anything.
- This issue marks Sue's transition to calling herself the Invisible Woman.
- The Fantastic Four are seen next, chronologically, in the following publications:
- She-Hulk appears in Marvel Graphic Novel #18 where she loses her ability to change back into Jennifer Walters.
- Reed appears in the flashback from She-Hulk #11, where he examines her after she lost her abilities, calling in Doc Samson to provide his expertise.
- Johnny and Sue next appear in Fantastic Four Annual #19
- Pearla appears again in Fantastic Four Unlimited #8 when the Fantastic Four visit her kingdom again searching for Reed Richards, who was believed to be dead at the time (per Fantastic Four #381).
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Fantastic Four Vol 1 284 on the forums
- 3 Images from Fantastic Four Vol 1 284
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|