- No matter what my fate, I face it without qualm! For I have learned from the humans how glorious it can be to have a cause worth dying for!
Appearing in "The Startling Saga of the Silver Surfer!"
- Fantastic Four
- House of Agon
- Ricardo Jones (First appearance) (Unnamed)
- Coach Thorne , Metro University Football Coach (First appearance)
- Belle Thorne (First appearance)
- Whitey Mullins , Metro University Quarterback (First appearance)
- Dean Asher (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
Synopsis for "The Startling Saga of the Silver Surfer!"
The Silver Surfer arrives to try and stop his master from destroying the Earth. No matter how hard he tries he is not able to stop Galactus. However, the confrontation does give Johnny the time he needs to return from Galactus' ship out in deep space with the one weapon that can stop Galactus: The Ultimate Nullifier. When Reed threatens to use it against Galactus, he agrees to spare the Earth and leave if Reed gives him back the weapon.
True to his word, Galactus leaves but not before first relieving the Silver Surfer of his herald duties and removing the Silver Surfer's space-time powers. The Silver Surfer is thus exiled on the planet he vowed to save, no longer able to roam the galaxies. After the battle Alicia arrives to thank the Silver Surfer for his help, causing the jealous Thing to think that she's choosing the Surfer over him and quietly walks away feeling nothing but rejection. The Silver Surfer also departs, vowing to return once he's traversed all of the Earth.
As life returns to normal, the press dismisses the Galactus fiasco as a hoax, while one man takes interest in news reports of the Thing roaming the city, and at Metro College the unreliable football star Whitey Mullins gives Coach Thorne a tongue lashing after being scolded for not being a team player. While at the Baxter Building, Sue storms out when Reed once again ignores her in favor of his experiments. While finally, Johnny arrives at his first day of college at Metro University. There he meets Wyatt Wingfoot and the two become fast friends, but as the two are meeting with the Dean, Johnny can't help but think about Crystal who is still now trapped in the Hidden Land behind Maximus' Negative Zone barrier.
- The portions of this story that pertain to Galactus are retold from a different perspective in Marvels #3.
- To date there is no known origin behind the Ultimate Nullifier. Although referenced and seen in many flashbacks and alternate reality tales, the Nullifier native to Earth-616 is not seen for many years until Fantastic Four #341.
- The Silver Surfer is exiled on Earth at the end of this story thanks to a barrier placed around the Earth by Galactus. The Silver Surfer basically remains trapped on Earth for many years, finally breaking free in Silver Surfer Vol 3 #1.
- Defeated here, Galactus is next seen in Thor #134 where a group of Rigellians and Thor narrowly avoid an encounter with the world devourer.
- The man interested in the Thing is a man named Ricardo Jones, as revealed in Web of Spider-Man #69.
- Wyatt Wingfoot is later identified as a member of the Keewazi people in Fantastic Four #80. The Keewazi are a band of Native Americans who reside in Oklahoma.
- The barrier placed around the homeland of the Inhumans was erected in Fantastic Four #48, it is not destroyed until Fantastic Four #59.
- The Thing refers to the Silver Surfer as a gleamin' gladiator. Foreshadowing what he will become in the Planet Hulk story in the Incredible Hulk Vol 2 #95.
- The Mail page contains a letter from a 14 year old fan named Gerard Conway. He will grow up to be better known as (amongst other things) Marvel Editor-in-Chief Gerry Conway.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Fantastic Four Vol 1 50 on the forums
- 6 Images from Fantastic Four Vol 1 50
- 4 Reprints of Fantastic Four Vol 1 50
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Fantastic Four Vol 1 
|Like this? Let us know!|