- I am Dakimh the enchanter -- and you are in a world called Sandt. The Mists of Maalock brought you here to find the Tome of Zhered-Na... for if that book resides on your Earth, the Netherworld demons cannot invade you. As if you didn't know!
Appearing in "The Demon Plague!"
- Joshua Kale
- Andy Kale
- Jennifer Kale
- Cult of Zhered-Na
- Dakimh the Enchanter (First appearance)
- Emperor of Sandt (First appearance)
- Mongu the Gladiator (First appearance)
- Hubert Meese
- Ms. Kelman
- Salesman (Unnamed)
- TV Reporter (Unnamed) (On-screen)
- Enrico Elnardo (On-screen)
- Zhered-Na (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Cows (Mentioned)
- Lizards (Referenced)
- Birds (Referenced)
- Insects (Referenced)
- Reptiles (Referenced)
- Demons (Mentioned)
- Unidentified alien species
- Hawks (Referenced)
- North America
- South America (On-screen)
- Delvadia (On-screen)
- Netherworld (Mentioned)
- Moons of Ergard (Invoked)
- Mists of Maalock
- Tome of Zhered-Na (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "The Demon Plague!"
Across the country, people begin committing wanton acts of violence. Children begin trying to kill one another. An underpaid secretary karate kicks her employer. A traveling salesman tries to run down an innocent couple.
In the Florida Everglades, Joshua Kale and his grandchildren Jennifer and Andy watch news reports detailing the strange outbreaks of violence. Kale realizes that these seemingly unrelated incidents are in connection with the takeover of human minds and souls by demons of the underworld. He decides to assemble his cult. The cult meets in the swamp and Kale prepares a ritual that he hopes will block the demons' entry to the Earth realm. Jennifer and Andy sit nearby and watch the spectacle. The Man-Thing is likewise nearby and shambles close to them. Suddenly, Jennifer Kale and the Man-Thing disappear and re-appear in chains in an other-worldly dimension. They meet Dakimh the Enchanter who explains to them that he used the Mists of Maalock to transport them to the realm of Sandt. He needs to recover the Tome of Zhered-Na, a mystical artifact that was once in the possession of Joshua Kale. Dakimh is aware of the pending demonic invasion of Earth and tells Jennifer that the Man-Thing is the guardian of the Nexus of All Realities. He alone can prevent the doorways between worlds from being opened - providing he can survive a trial by combat.
Dakimh transports Jennifer and the Man-Thing to a gladiatorial arena. The Man-Thing is ushered into the centre of the arena where he is forced to fight a barbarian named Mongu. Mongu's battle-axe is ineffective against the Man-Thing, and the swamp monster fights back with his burning touch, winning the fight. As per a pre-arranged promise, Dakimh returns Jennifer and the Man-Thing to Earth. Jennifer reunites with her father who is grateful to see her, but warns that the final battle against the forces of evil is yet to come.
Appearing in "Listen, You Fool!"
- Albert Rudley (Only appearance; dies)
Races and Species:
- Albert Rudley's Hearing Aid
Synopsis for "Listen, You Fool!"
Albert Rudley suspects that his wife Lorna has been trying to murder him. Though he suffers from poor hearing, his hearing aid enables him to overhear his wife conspiring with their chauffeur Vincent. Albert learns that the recent string of "near accidents" that he has suffered were actually plots to end his life.
Later, Rita asks her husband to go on a boating trip to Canada. Albert knows that she intends on capsizing the boat in the hopes that he will drown, so he takes measures to prevent this. He poisons her drink with a drug that will cause paralysis once she enters the water. He deliberately leaves behind his hearing aid, so that he will have an alibi as to why he could not hear her cries for help. Albert and Lorna row out into the middle of a river and Lorna decides to swimming. As predicted, the poison paralyzes her and she screams in terror. Albert smiles as his boat continues downstream. Unfortunately, without his hearing aid, he cannot hear the sound of rushing water. His boat goes off the edge of a water fall and Albert dies.
Links and References
- Adventure into Fear article at Wikipedia
- Adventure into Fear series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Adventure into Fear series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Man-Thing profile at Wikipedia
- Man-Thing profile at the Marvel Directory
- Man-Thing profile at Toonopedia
- Man-Thing movie entry at the Internet Movie Database (IMDB)
- First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|