Gerard Way was born April 9, 1977 in Summit, New Jersey to Donna Lee (née Rush) and Donald Way. He was raised in Belleville, New Jersey alongside his younger brother Mikey.
Way attended Belleville High School until he graduated in 1995, and after deciding to pursue a career in the comic-book industry he attended the School of Visual Arts in New York City, graduating with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in 1999.
He is most well known for his vocal work as the frontman of the band My Chemical Romance.
- Gerard's first attempt at writing a comic was at the age of 16, when he wrote a comic called On Angel's Wings. The comic was published by Hart D. Fisher's Bonyard Press, but was cancelled after only 2 issues due to losing the project's art team. He was credited as 'Garry Way.'
- In 2001, Way co-created The Breakfast Monkey, an animated short which was pitched to Cartoon Network and turned down. It subsequently became one of the first viral YouTube videos.
- His next attempt was in 2007, when he wrote the miniseries The Umbrella Academy, which has thus far had two volumes: Apocalypse Suite, which ran from 2007-2008, and Dallas, which ran from 2008-2009. Two more volumes are in the works, but are delayed due to artist Gabriel Bá's busy schedule. The series has won the Eisner Award and is published by Dark Horse.
- In 2013 Way co-wrote a miniseries based around the concept of the titular My Chemical Romance album, The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys.
- Gerard Way has currently only done one project for Marvel, writing SP//dr for the Spiderverse series in 2014.
- He is currently working on a comic book about cats as students in a high school setting trying to find their place in the world. This project started as a series of images posted on his twitter feed of the characters he'd drawn. At this stage the project has no publisher or artist attached. He plans to call it All Ages.
Images Attributed to Gerard Way
- Gerard Way was the front man, co-founder, and lead vocalist of the band My Chemical Romance from the band's formation in September 2001 up until its split in March 2013.
- Gerard is currently still performing as a vocalist. His first solo album, Hesitant Alien, was released in 2014.
- No trivia
Links and References