Appearing in "Beware the Path of the Monster!"
- Anna Watson
- Martha Connors
- Gwen Stacy (Clone)
- President Ford (Appears on a computer screen, TV, or hologram only) (Topical reference)
- Edmond Arnstead (Only appearance)
- Dorothy Arnstead (Only appearance) (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "Beware the Path of the Monster!"
While web-slinging through the city, Spider-Man realizes that he needs to get away from New York, and sort out the state of his life. He happens to see a news reports concerning the Man-Thing's activities in Florida, and decides to try and convince J. Jonah Jameson to send Peter Parker out to Florida to try and get pictures of the monster. After convincing Jameson, Peter calls his old friend Dr. Curt Connors, who agrees to to help him out, since he lives in Florida. Next, Peter calls Mary Jane, who is excited that he's called her, but disappointed when he tells her he's leaving town for a few days. She quickly hides this disappointment when her Aunt Anna enters the room.
Meanwhile in Florida, Curt Connors accidentally knocks over a beaker containing a chemical mixture, the gas from which causes him to once more turn into The Lizard. He attacks Connors's wife, before returning to the swamps. Once there, the Lizard rants about making lizards the dominant life form on the planet. Upon seeing the Man-Thing, he realizes the creature poses a threat to his plans.
Before leaving New York for Florida, Peter pays a visit to Gwen Stacy, and apologizes for his behavior following her sudden "resurrection". Meanwhile in Florida, Edmond Arnstead, a down-and-out biochemist who has become bankrupt due to the recent recession, has come to the swamps in order to commit suicide. Before he can do that, he is saved by the Man-Thing, the bog-beast being attracted to his emotions and the arrival of a huge alligator. Realizing that he's discovered the location of the Man-Thing, Arnstead realizes the money making potential and leaves the scene via his car.
Elsewhere, Spider-Man has finally reached Florida, but before he can arrive at the Connors home, he's suddenly attacked by The Lizard. However, with Martha Connors' help, Spider-Man is able to gain the upper hand against the creature and bind him with his webbing. With the Lizard incapacitated, they debate on how best to deal with him.
Elsewhere in the swamp, Edmond has been tracking the Man-Thing, figuring that if he can somehow capture it, he can make money off the creature. He follows the bog-beast, as it and various lizards are drawn to The Lizard's mental commands for aid. When the various amphibious creatures and the Man-Thing arrive on the Connors property, Spider-Man mistakenly attacks the Man-Thing, while the lizards free The Lizard.
When Spider-Man realizes what's really going on, he attacks The Lizard, with an assist from the Man-Thing. Meanwhile, after Edmond is informed that Connors and The Lizard are one and the same, he has the Doctor's wife take him to the lab, where Edmond uses his scientific knowledge to come up with a cure.
Upon arriving in the middle of the battle, Edmond almost drops the cure, but Spider-Man saves it from a spill with his webbing and proceeds to use it on the Lizard, who transforms back into Curt Connors. With the mental control gone, the various lizards and the Man-Thing return to the swamp. Edmond tells all present that until he met the Man-Thing he figured his life was over, but now has given things a second thought and is going to give life a second chance.
Appearing in "Where Flies the Beetle...!"
- Flash Thompson
- Sam (First appearance)
- J. Edgar Hoover (Mentioned)
- Doctor Doom (Victor von Doom) (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
Synopsis for "Where Flies the Beetle...!"
Abner Jenkins is released from prison after serving his sentence and he plots his revenge on The Human Torch who last sent him there. Johnny Storm reads the newspaper and decides to find him before it's too late but can't find him much to the annoyance of Dorrie, his girlfriend. Johnny then has to promise her not to flame on for 24 hours or else it's over.
After some jealousy and relationship drama ensues, Pete decides to rile up Johnny Storm by making Dorrie swoon over Spider-Man as well. Yet as he reaches her house, he runs into the Beetle and begins to fight when he sees his intentions aren't for good. Dorrie sees the fighting and calls Johnny but Johnny sees it as a trick to get him to flame on. The Beetle snatches Dorrie as bait for The Human Torch and Spider-Man gives chase. Johnny shows up at her house just to humor her and sees the house is a wreck and realizes Dorrie was telling the truth after all.
He chases after Spider-Man figuring that he was involved. The Human Torch decides to fight Spider-Man instead of hearing him out and only realizes the truth when he sees the Beetle flying nearby with Dorrie in his hands. The Torch and Spidey work together in cornering the Beetle in an abandoned housing complex and once wrapped up in webbing is ready for the police.
- There are multiple references to the issues with Gwen Stacy:
- The newscaster recounts the Man-Thing's attack at the F.A. Schist construction site. That happened in Fear #16.
- Curt Connors knows who Peter Parker is because Spider-Man "told" him about Parker the last time they met. That was in Marvel Team-Up #19–20. Connors has been an ally to Spider-Man (whenever he is not the Lizard) since Amazing Spider-Man #6.
- Peter apologizes for acting like a fool when he first met the Gwen Stacy clone. That happened in Amazing Spider-Man #145.
- The appearance of President Gerald Ford on the television should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616. Likewise, should the references to Edmond Armstead starting his career after World War II and was being affected by the recession of 1973-1975.
- Edmond remembers the Man-Thing from the news reports of when he was in captivity in New York. That happened in Giant-Size Man-Thing #2.
Events in this story occur behind the scenes that affect the chronology of the following characters:
- Page 3, Panel 3 - Man-Thing attacks a construction site.
- Page 15-30 - Spider-Man battles the Lizard and Man-Thing.
- Page 3, Panel 3 - Curt Connors turns into the Lizard again.
- Page 15-30 - Spider-Man battles the Lizard and Man-Thing.