Hypnotism is a form of mind control that overrides the willpower of sentient beings, making them highly suggestible to commands. Victims often fall into a zombie-like entranced state while carrying out the hypnotists' direct commands. However, post-hypnotic suggestions can be placed in the subconscious mind of a victim, affecting their behavior even after they awaken from the trance state.
Hypnosis can be accomplished through mechanical means, through the application of a super-power, or by rigorous self-training by non-powered individuals. It can be initiated by a psychic force of some kind, or through the manipulation of the senses using hypnotic lights or sounds to entrance the victim.
- Mesmero - a mutant with hypnotic abilities, typically initiated via eye contact and then through verbal commands.
- Ringmaster - employs a top hat with a swirling disk that combines hypnotic light and artificially enhanced mental energy to command others.
- Lorelei - a Savage Land Mutate whose voice has a hypnotic quality for men, singing a song that leaves them stupefied and open to suggestion.
- Gambit - possesses a hypnotic charm that subliminally makes people more open to suggestion, inclined to believe what he says or do what he tells them.
- Doctor Faustus - a psychiatrist who has perfected the ability to control others by perfectly modulating the tone of his voice.
- Dracula, and other vampires - Many vampires develop the skill to hypnotize others through eye contact.
- Rhapsody - a mutant who channels hypnotic powers through sound, allowing her to place people into a trance-like state by playing music.
(See Also: Mesmero, Purple Man, Telepathy)
- ↑ Alpha Flight #43
- ↑ Amazing Spider-Man #16
- ↑ X-Men #63
- ↑ Uncanny X-Men #266
- ↑ Secret Empire #0
- ↑ Tomb of Dracula #1
- ↑ X-Factor #79
[top] [Edit Hypnosis]