Profanity, is an offensive word also known as swearing. Profanity is not allowed in regular issues of Marvel Comics. The writers however got around this by inserting random %&$#?@! symbols. This is known as "grawlix", or "profanitype". MAX Comics was the only exception as it was specifically printed for adult readers.
- Deadpool would regular swear in his casual conversations.
- Nextwave Vol 1 used skull and crossbones symbols which is now used common place throughout the Marvel Universe. The is due to the "Captain ☠☠☠☠", who liked to swear regularly, until Captain America washed his mouth out with soap.
- Pretty much the current record-holder for duration; Wolverine: "Diplomatic #%@*&%!!@#$@%#%$##@@#$$%$#@#$$#%$#@#$%#%@$#$@$&&&%&@&$#%$##%&&&@&!! immunity?"
- Ultimate Spider-Man has the time a "Freaky Friday" Flip between Spider-Man and Wolverine turns out to be the result of Jean Grey putting Wolverine's mind "where it least wanted to be". After they are returned to normal Spidey told them; "You know why people hate you? It's not because you're mutants!! It's because you're all a bunch of @#$@#$ $@$%@ ##@$!! That's why!! You $^$%^ $%^$ $^$%^ $%#^% #$ $% ^#$%^ $%%^!!! AAAGGHHH!"
- Colossus: Why am I an #$@#$@? I was just standing here.
- Spider-Gwen is very prone to profanity.
- While Alias Vol 1 was part of MAX Comics, The Pulse Vol 1 was not, and writer Brian Michael Bendis had to tone down the at-times foul-mouthed Jessica Jones's dialogue accordingly.
- Another way round it is by using alien words in place of the profanity:
(See Also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity)
[top] [Edit Profanity]