Willpower is an individuals control over their own mind and soul. People with an Indomitable Will enable them to be immune to all forms of temptation including Subordination Manipulation, Telepathy, Mind Control and Subliminal Seduction. Through their will the user can face great physical pain and psychological trauma and will refuse to surrender no matter how much the odds are stacked against them, possibly up to the point of cheating Death and pushing themselves past their own limitations.
- Doctor Doom's willpower feats include still being able to concentrate enough to activate a device in his breastplate while the cosmic entity the Beyonder painfully dissects him , resisting a worldwide mutation caused by the High Evolutionary on sheer willpower alone, no-selling the telepathic/mind-control powers of the likes of Emma Frost and Purple Man using only his will, rejecting the mystical armor that the Soulsword provides the wielder with using will power alone. He was able to resist the mind-controlling powers of the Over-Mind who was described having the power of a "billion minds" before passing out from the strain. He also refused to let a single audible indication of pain exit his mouth whilst being tortured. Through sheer force of will and control of his emotions, Doom shrugged off the effects of a psionic hate plague created by the Red Skull and later resisted a powerful truth-wave spell courtesy of Verity Willis' power. After having stolen the Beyonders' omnipotent abilities for himself, Doctor Doom was capable of creating an entire new planet from the remnants of incursion points between collapsing worlds, that new planet was Battleworld. He held this world together with his will.
- Ben Grimm the Thing of the Fantastic Four has remarkable qualities of extreme willpower. Whatever obstacles may come, he tries until he overcomes them or dies. In fact, during his fight with the Champion of the universe, despite suffering severe injuries, he kept coming back, making the Champion remark that while he could break every bone in Ben's body, he could never defeat him, as he could never break Ben's spirit. He forfeited the fight so that he wouldn't be forced to hurt Ben anymore.
- Storm has an exceptionally strong will, thanks to years of practice in controlling the weather. She has shown the strength of will to effectively resist the world's most powerful telepaths, such as Professor X, Jean Grey, Rachel Summers, the Shadow King and Emma Frost. She has also shown the strength of will and spirit to host the consciousness of the abstract entity Eternity to help save his life and the universe, a feat few beings could do, as well as hide the Panther God Bast in her mind in order to defeat the Shadow King.
- Spider-Man has a strong Force of Will, completely free of evil and temptation. For years, he has struggled to balance his life as a student and his superhero duties. He is able to emerge from defeat even stronger. His mental strength is also shown when he successfully wrestles control of nanobots from Doctor Octopus, when he resists the Hypno-Hustler's mind control (which was strong enough to enslave a whole nightclub of people), when he breaks through the Lizard's attempt to subjugate his mind, when he throws off Psycho-Man's mind manipulation (which was powerful enough to easily enslave the students of Avengers Academy), when he resists Fusion's persuasion powers through his strength of will, when he breaks out of Anti-Venom's webbing while depowered, when he manages to fight off the Jackal's brain washing and when he negates Mysterio's illusions through sheer willpower. Despite having had most of his memories and sense of self extinguished by Doctor Octopus, Peter still retained enough willpower to help the latter overcome Venom's hold of their shared body after it became clear that Doctor Octopus lacked the necessary willpower to break free of the symbiote's hold. Through the psychological profiles conducted by Maria Hill, she has stated that nobody has as strong as an ingrained identity as Spider-Man, further demonstrating the extent of his willpower. His willpower is so strong that he even has mental antibodies as defenses against telepahic attack in addition to being considered as the greatest of all the Spider-Totems in the Multiverse by Ben Reilly of Earth-94. Despite this, he has been taken over by symbiotes on numerous occasions, and there has been times where he has seriously considered and even attempted to kill his opponents.
- Captain America (Steven Rogers) is a very strong-willed person. He is able to overcome most forms of temptation and resist the effects of extreme pain, drugs and toxins to a great extent. Rogers accepts his own mortality, and refuses to rob any sapient being of their freedom. During the Destiny War, he destroyed the Forever Crystal, deciding it was too dangerous to exist, despite the many benefits of its power. Rogers is also capable of resisting all forms of mind control. When Captain America forced to use his gift of strategy to aid Killgrave the Purple Man, Cap retained enough presence of mind to try to trick Killgrave into giving him commands that would free Cap to act as he wished.
- The Kingpin had the Purple Man brought to him after a confrontation with his men. The Kingpin too proved to have the strength of will necessary to resist the Purple Man’s power. The Kingpin forced the Purple Man to aid him in selling a death trap for various New York-based costumed crime fighters.
- Hannibal King is a very strong-willed person. He is able to overcome the bloodlust that effects all Vampires. He refuses to use most of his vampire powers in his day to day work. Refuses to use his hypnotic powers as to rob any sentient creature of their identity or control.
- Red Wolf as a result of being a tribesman, Talltrees is nearly impossible to be tricked or persuaded into doing something that he does not agree with. His bond with himself is so strong, it's said to block out telepathy altogether.
- Sun God is absolutely unyielding in his morality, in the face of even the greatest threats and temptations: unlike the superbeings of the innumerable other Earths the Black Swan bore witness to the destruction of, Sun God refused to even entertain the idea of destroying another Earth to save his own from the danger of the Incursions, determined to find another way every time even in the face of the Illuminati's assault.
- During his time in the Army Rangers, Lee Price had been given special training to resist any psychic incursions. This allowed him to bend the Venom symbiote to his will.
- ↑ Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars #10
- ↑ Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #3
- ↑ Secret Invasion: Dark Reign #1
- ↑ Marvel Graphic Novel #27
- ↑ Excalibur #39
- ↑ Fantastic Four #116
- ↑ Fantastic Four #561
- ↑ Loki: Agent of Asgard #7
- ↑ Secret Wars #3
- ↑ Marvel Two-In-One Annual #7
- ↑ Heroic Age: X-Men #1
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man #600
- ↑ Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #24
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man #632
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man #661
- ↑ Peter Parker: Spider-Man 32
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man #664
- ↑ Web of Spider-Man #129
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man 199
- ↑ The Superior Spider-Man #25
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man: Who Am I?
- ↑ Mosaic #4
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 3 #9
- ↑ New Avengers #6
- ↑ Spider-Man and the X-Men #5
- ↑ The Amazing Spider-Man 539-543
- ↑ Spider-Man/Deadpool #17-18
- ↑ Avengers Forever #12
- ↑ New Thunderbolts #12
- ↑ Marvel Team-Up Annual #4
- ↑ Tomb of Dracula #25
- ↑ Avengers #80
- ↑ New Avengers Vol 3 #21
- ↑ Venom Vol 3 #1-2
[top] [Edit Will Power]