One of many imperfect clones created by the Jackal, this Gwen Stacy clone was used for the express purpose of sewing confusion between Spider-Man and the Scarlet Spider. This plot was intended to make the pair question which was the real Peter Parker and which was the clone.
To this end, the Jackal tried to convince the two Spiders that the real Gwen Stacy had not died many years prior, and presented this clone as proof. This deception initially worked and was quite painful for Spider-Man as he had long since moved on with his life following the death of the real Gwen Stacy and had a common-law relationship with Mary Jane Watson. Despite the fact that he was offered the chance of being with "Gwen Stacy" again, Spider-Man refused to give up on his life, even though the Jackal had also spent this time trying to convince him that he was a clone.
As Spider-Man told Gwen that he was unwilling to give up his life, she suddenly began feeling ill. She then suddenly began degenerating, the eventual fate of all of the Jackal's imperfect clones. Spider-Man and the Scarlet Spider then watched in utter horror as this Gwen clone melted into a pile of genetic goo on the floor. They were then forced to flee the Jackal's facility before it exploded, presumably destroying all trace of this Gwen Stacy clone.
This clone's personality are an exactly the same as the real Gwen Stacy.
As an exact copy of Gwen Stacy, she has the same skills and abilities as the template she is based on.
Like all of the Jackal's imperfect clones, this Gwen Stacy clone was prone to degeneration. If this is a natural weakness, or intentionally implanted by the Jackal is subject to debate. This is because the Jackal has claimed to have a cure for clone degeneration, has created perfect clones in the past, and has even triggered instant degeneration in other clones through a "kill switch" he implanted in them as a failsafe.
- 2 Appearances of Gwendolyne Stacy (Imperfect Clone) (Earth-616)
- 2 Minor Appearances of Gwendolyne Stacy (Imperfect Clone) (Earth-616)
- Media Gwendolyne Stacy (Imperfect Clone) (Earth-616) was Mentioned in
- 2 Images featuring Gwendolyne Stacy (Imperfect Clone) (Earth-616)
- Quotations by or about Gwendolyne Stacy (Imperfect Clone) (Earth-616)
- Character Gallery: Gwendolyne Stacy (Imperfect Clone) (Earth-616)
- Characters killed by Gwen Stacy
Discover and Discuss
- Search this site for:
- ↑ This scheme is detailed in the Smoke and Mirror story arc of the Clone Saga.
Smoke and Mirrors Web of Spider-Man #122 Amazing Spider-Man #399 Spider-Man #56 Spider-Man: The Clone Journal #1
- ↑ The real Gwen Stacy was murdered by the Green Goblin back in Amazing Spider-Man #121. The Jackal made this false revelation in Amazing Spider-Man #399.
- ↑ During this story, detailed in Spider-Man #56, Peter and Mary Jane are referred to as husband and wife. However, years later, their marriage is erased from existence by Mephisto in Amazing Spider-Man #545. As such they are referred to as a common-law couple here.
- ↑ At this time, the Jackal was attempting to convince Peter he was a clone. Ultimately, he would be convinced of this in The Spectacular Spider-Man #220 thanks to the machinations of the Green Goblin (as revealed in Spider-Man: The Osborn Journal #1) Peter will ultimately learn the truth in Peter Parker: Spider-Man #75.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Spider-Man #56
- ↑ Examples of the Jackal's perfect clones would be Ben Reilly as well as the original Gwen Stacy clone circa Amazing Spider-Man #141-149. The Jackal's dubious explanations for and possible cure for clone degeneration are detailed in the Smoke and Mirrors story arc of the Clone Saga. Lastly, the Jackal attempted to initiate a kill switch on Spidercide in The Spectacular Spider-Man #227. In the case of this specific Gwen Stacy clone, the Spiders are led to believe that this was a natural defect, and the Jackal did nothing to confirm or deny this.
|Like this? Let us know!|