Arrived at Long Island, in the United States, he was contacted by members of the Nazi Fifth Column, who told him they have successfully found a secret cover identity he could use to pass Project Rebirth's security check. In New York City, Kruger then contacted Major Kerfoot, who gave him the papers which identified him as U.S. Foreign Affairs Ministry Special Agent Frederick Clemson, replacement for U.S. Interior Department Secretary Ickes, who couldn't attend to the experiment demonstration.
After Project Rebirth's candidate Steve Rogers had been successfully enhanced by Dr. Erskine's serum and Vita Rays, Kruger broke off the observation cabin's glass, shooting Erskine with a gun, immediately killing him; Rogers, trying to capture Kruger, threw him off the Vita-Ray Chamber, accidentally causing his death.
- Normal army and secret service training.
- Presumably spoke a mixture of languages, including German and English.
- He had a "lovely singing voice".
- He was well gifted in the building of model ships.
- In Captain America's original origin story shown in Captain America Comics #1, Heinz Kruger was an unnamed Gestapo spy who had infiltrated the U.S. Army; he was present at a White House meeting between President Roosevelt and "fellow" officer General Phillips, when F.B.I. Director J. Arthur Grover was called by the President to show the two generals the United States' secret Super-Soldier Project. After the experiment had finished, Kruger killed the Project's leader Professor Reinstein, but was subsequently stopped and killed by the Super-Soldier Serum-enhanced subject Steve Rogers. Since Tales of Suspense #63 and later retellings, this account had been considered a fictionalized report of the real events.
- 16 appearance(s) of Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)
- 1 appearance(s) in handbook(s) of Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)
- 8 minor appearance(s) of Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)
- 4 mention(s) of Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)
- 2 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)
- 2 image(s) of Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)
- 1 victim(s) killed by Heinz Kruger (Earth-616)