- Wouldn't be in this line of work if I was a creampuff!
- -- Luke Cage
Appearing in "The Lucky...and the Dead!"
- Señor Suerte \ Señor Muerte (Ramon Garcia) (First appearance)
- Mimi Jenks
- Black Mariah (Mariah Dillard) (Only in flashback)
- Phil Fox
- John (Only appearance; dies)
Races and Species:
- United States of America
Synopsis for "The Lucky...and the Dead!"
Tired of being attacked by thugs since the Frank Jenks episode, Luke Cage decides to visit his widow to find out what she could tell him as to why people keep attacking him. She tells Luke that her late husband was never well liked and figured it might have something to do with his safety deposit box that she has yet to close.
Going to the bank, they find that it's being robbed by masked robbers, Luke makes short work of them and turns them over to the police. Searching Frank's safety deposit box, the only clue they find is a match book of a Spanish restaurant. However, upon investigation Luke finds that it's been burned to the ground. His lead turning out to be a dead-end, Luke decides to see what else he can find.
Meanwhile in another part of the city, illegal casino operator Señor Suerte, remarks over his recent luck in silencing Frank Jenks over exposing his illegal gambling ring. Having worked in the shadows, Suerte decides that he wants to reveal his identity to others, and so he puts on a specialized costume. Calling himself Señor Suerte/Muerte, Suerte has a roulette wheel built into the chest of his costume which randomly charges one of his hands with a lethal electrical jolt, powerful enough burn a normal man into a charred husk. Deciding to go out and give his enemies the chance to either live or die.
While back at Noah Burnstein's clinic, Phil Fox comes around once again looking for an interview on Noah. When left unattended in Noah's office, Phil spots a Noah's experiment log and decides to snatch it up for review later, and leaves when Claire returns with Luke Cage.
While Señor Suerte learns that Luke Cage was poking around the burned down Spanish restaurant, he sends me to eliminate Cage. Returning to the Gem theater, Luke is warned by Bertha that there are men up in his office, and so he gets the drop on them. Easily defeating the thugs, Luke faces Señor Suerte/Muerte one-on-one, however when Luke strikes Suerte's electrified hand he is jolted with enough electricity to knock himself out. Suerte then takes Luke to a water passage down near the harbor. Chaining Luke to the wall, Señor Suerte/Muerte leaves Luke there to drown when the passage fills up with water.
This story is continued next issue...
- As seen on page one, this issue is Story#1385Z.
- The cover of this issue is signed by the artist: Billy Graham.
- This issue contains a letters page, Comments to Cage. Letters are published from Robbie Weber and Harvey Phillips.
- The movie "High Noon" with Gary Cooper is shown at the Gem Theater this issue. It's dialogue permeates one of Luke Cage's fight scenes.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Hero for Hire Vol 1 10 on the forums
- 3 Images from Hero for Hire Vol 1 10
- ↑ First and only known appearance to date besides flashbacks
|Like this? Let us know!|