- Heh. I started this game hoping for your death. I realize now that I've left you even worse off than dead. With a broken heart. Just as you left me, Banner...
- -- Red Hulk
Appearing in "Winner Takes All"
- Defenders (Divergent Created)
- Grandmaster (Apparent death)
- Offenders (Divergent Created)
- Galactus (Divergent Created)
- Dormammu (Divergent Created)
- Psycho-Man (Divergent Created)
- Jarella (Corpse)
Synopsis for "Winner Takes All"
Having defeated the Hulk, the Red Hulk was immediately returned by the Elders. At the option of the Red Hulk, he decided to join the battle with the others. The Red Hulk dismantled the Psycho-Man. In an unexpected twist, getting hold of Terrax's Cosmic Axe, the Red Hulk decapitated Terrax and, grabbing the Silver Surfer by the neck, the Red Hulk began absorbing the cosmic powers of the Silver Surfer, and seemingly killing him.
With the powers of the Silver Surfer and the Cosmic Axe of Terrax, the Red Hulk then went to the Dark Dimension riding on the Silver Surfer's Surfboard. Using Terrax's Axe, the Red Hulk disintegrated Tiger Shark, decapitated Namor, destroyed Dr. Strange and Baron Mordo, who were being interrogated by Galactus. Red Hulk also brought the lifeless body of the Silver Surfer to Galactus, taunting him to battle. Unmindful of the fact that the cosmic powers in his body belongs to Galactus and Galactus absorbed the Red Hulk's cosmic energies. After absorbing it, Galactus then became aware of what has transpired and decided to destroy Earth, as well as the Grandmaster and the Collector.
Because of the Red Hulk's action, the Grandmaster terminated the game. The Grandmaster then revived the Defenders and the other Offender's were returned to their proper timelines with no memory of the event. Red Hulk feeling cheated, attacked and killed the Grandmaster. The Hulk sent Red flying with a punch, and then claiming victory, told the Collector to comply with the rules of the games by returning Jarella to him. The Collector complied, giving only the Hulk the lifeless body of Jarella. Hulk then wished that everyone to go away. The Collector sent the others back to their home and time with no memory of the event, then he left bringing with him the body of the Grandmaster. Red Hulk returned to witness Hulk's great sadness which gave him great pleasure.
- The Red Hulk recounts how Doctor Doom once stole the power of the Silver Surfer. That happened in Fantastic Four #56-61.
- The Hulk was involved in this contest to try and resurrect his long dead lover Jarella. She was killed in Incredible Hulk #205.
- The Collector states that it is hard to resurrect an Elder of the Universe and that he knows this from experience. He is referring to how the Grandmaster once attempted to resurrect the Collector by challenging Death in Marvel Super Hero Contest of Champions #1-3, West Coast Avengers Annual #2 and Avengers Annual #16.
- The Red Hulk is satisfied that he has left the Hulk with a broken heart just like the Hulk had done to him. The true identity of the Red Hulk is revealed in Hulk Vol 2 #23. The Red Hulk's own heartbreak involves the death of Betty Ross, who died of radiation poisoning in Incredible Hulk #466. At the time of this story, none were aware that Betty was resurrected by the Intelligencia, as seen in Fall of the Hulks: Alpha #1.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Hulk Vol 2 12 on the forums
- 18 Images from Hulk Vol 2 12
|Like this? Let us know!|