- Now tell me I'm no different!
- -- Bruce Banner
Appearing in "At the Mercy of -- Maximus the Mad!"
- Maximus' statue
Synopsis for "At the Mercy of -- Maximus the Mad!"
Continued from last issue...
Bruce Banner awakens from a deep sleep and finds himself on the island of Costa Salvador. Finding it becoming increasingly harder to think, Banner stumbles into the village nearby and finds that all the people have been put under a hypnotic trance by a giant statue that is emitting a strange energy beam from it's head. Banner meets a man who is not effected by the device, who tells him that he is the only one with a free will because he serves a being called the "Great One" who lives in a nearby castle, who is responsible for the trances. The free willed local boasts how soon Banner will also be under the Great One's control. Resisting the giant statue's influence, Banner excites himself enough to transform into the Incredible Hulk, scaring away the loyal servant of the Great One. The Hulk then in turn tries to smash the statue, but to no avail. Vaguely remembering what the man had told him, the Hulk bounds over to the castle of the supposed Great One.
As the Hulk approaches the castle, back in the the USA, the President is informed by his men that they have lost contact with the nation of Costa Salvador and fear that it may have fallen to enemy hands. The President then calls General Ross and Major Talbot and orders them to abandon their mission to capture the Hulk and investigate the matter, a request that upset Ross. He complies however, taking his daughter Betty along with him on the mission.
Back in Costa Salvador, we learn that the so called "Great One" is Maximus, the exiled Inhuman prince and his band of evil Inhumans: Aiero, Falcona, Leonus, Nebulo, Stallior, and Timberius. Having failed to rule the Hidden Land of the Inhumans, Maximus intends to slowly take over the entire world with similar statues put in strategic locations all over the world, slowly putting everyone under his control. When the local who is loyal to Maximus arrives and warns him of the approaching Hulk, Maximus orders Falcona to kill him, to which she obliges by sending an army of falcons to eliminate him.
While outside, the Hulk tries to gain access to the castle but finds it's protected by a force field barrier. Maximus sends out his evil Inhumans to deal with the Hulk who just then manages to smash through the barrier and gain entrance to the castle. Each member of the Evil Inhumans tries to attack the Hulk on their own, but find their powers woefully inadequate to fight off the Jade Giant and decide to strike together. However, when the military arrives, Maximus decides to try and convince the Hulk to join their cause.
Trying to use their mutual outcast status to gain the Hulks allegiance, the Hulk finds himself caught deciding who is a greater threat to him: the military or the Inhumans?
This story is continued next issue...
Once again, the green-skinned rampager must face the murderous might of the mad Maximus and his band of evil Inhumans! If action is your dish, this one's a feast!
- The depiction of Richard Nixon as the President of the United States of America should be considered a topical reference per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
- The Evi Inhumans were exiled from Attilan in Fantastic Four #83. The group previously encountered the Hulk in Incredible Hulk Special #1.
- This issue contains a letters page, Green Skin's Grab Bag. Letters are published from Mary Elizabeth Doran, David Hench, Crombie Sproule, Garrett Everett, and Shirley Gorman.
- The Spanish sentences spoken by the characters have several mistakes: The word "monsteroso" does not exist, and the sentence "Esta el Hulk" should be "Es el Hulk" -not to mention missing diacriticals.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Incredible Hulk Vol 1 119 on the forums
- 4 Images from Incredible Hulk Vol 1 119
- 2 Reprints of Incredible Hulk Vol 1 119
- Incredible Hulk Vol 1
- Incredible Hulk Vol 2
- Defenders Vol 1
- Defenders Vol 2
- Rampaging Hulk Vol 1
- Rampaging Hulk Vol 2
- Tales to Astonish Vol 1
Links and References
- Incredible Hulk profile at Wikipedia
- Incredible Hulk profile at Marvel Universe
- Incredible Hulk profile at Toonopedia
- Incredible Hulk series index at the Grand Comics Database
- Incredible Hulk series index at CBDB
- Incredible Hulk series index at Comicbookdb.com
- Hulk Library
|Like this? Let us know!|