Appearing in "An Intruder in the Mind!"
- The Mind of Glenn Talbot
- "Mainifested Phantoms\Memories of:
- The Missing Link (Illusion)
- Juggernaut (Illusion)
- Abominnation (Illusion)
- The Leader (Illusion)
- Rhino (Illusion)
- Mandarin (Illusion)
- Sandman (Illusion)
- Silver Surfer (Illusion)
- Iron Man (Illusion)
- Sub-Mariner (Illusion)
- Hercules (Illusion)
- Doc Samson (Illusion)
- M.O.D.O.K. (Illusion)
- The Harpy (Illusion)
- Gremlin (Illusion)
- Micron Cannon
- Encephalo Helmet (Destroyed)
- Mandarin's Rings
- Iron Man Armor Model 4
- Silver Surfer's Surfboard
- MODOK's Doomsday Chair
Synopsis for "An Intruder in the Mind!"
Continued from last issue...
The Hulk has been captured by Gamma Base, and thanks to an encephalo-helmet designed by Doc Samson, Bruce Banner's mind now operates in the Hulk's body. Using a shrinking device, they intend to send the Hulk into the brain of Glenn Talbot and repair the damage caused to his mind by the Gremlin and revive him from his catatonic state, as the Hulk's unique physiology would protect him from the harsh electrical activity in Glenn's brain. After being wished luck and promising everyone that he will do his best to restore Glenn to normal, Banner/Hulk gets shrunken down and implanted inside Talbot's brain.
Almost immediately from his arrival, Banner is assaulted by the electrical fields of Glenn's brain, and tries to adjust his helmet to deal with them. He is then attacked by manifestations of his old foes the Missing Link, Juggernaut and Abomination. Although these phantom versions of his old foes try to stop him, the hulk manages to fight them off, causing them to dissipate into immaterial smoke. He is next attacked by phantoms of both the Rhino and the Leader, an attack that slightly damages his helmet, causing Banner to slowly begin losing his temper.
During a fight with phantoms of the Mandarin and Sandman, Banner cannot take the feedback from the helmet and rips it off, submerging his consciousness and releasing the Hulk's mind. The Hulk is then attacked by more constructs based on Iron Man, the Sub-Mariner, Hercules, Silver Surfer and Doc Samson. These he just as easily fights off, even as they are joined by illusions of MODOK, the Harpy and the Gremlin. The Hulk smashes them all until he comes across the creature in Glenn's mind that is keeping him in his catatonic state.
When the creature attempts to consume the Hulk, he easily rips it apart killing it. The creatures death causes Glenn to suddenly sit up and belt out a scream before passing out again. Before they can see if Glenn is okay, an alarm goes off warning Doc Samson that the Hulk is beginning to grow again, threatening to kill Talbot in the process. With no other choice, Samson fires the shrink ray, targeting the Hulk and causing him to shrink so small that he disappears from their readings. Glenn awakens alive and well and is reunited with his wife Betty. Samson informs them that while they have saved the life of Glenn Talbot, it seems they have done so at the expense of the life of Bruce Banner.
This story is continued next issue...
- The reason why Glenn Talbot is in a catatonic state is because he was put in that state by the Gremlin during a rescue mission in Russia, as seen in Incredible Hulk #188.
- The Hulk faces illusions of many of his old foes which include:
- The Missing Link who the Hulk, at this point, fought twice in Incredible Hulk #106-107 and Incredible Hulk #179.
- The Hulk fist met the Juggernaut in Incredible Hulk #172.
- Abominnation has a long history of clashes with the Hulk. At the time of this story these clashes included Tales to Astonish #90-91, Incredible Hulk #136-137, 159, 171 and 194-196.
- The Leader has been the Hulk's most prolific foe to date having fought him (at this point) in Tales to Astonish #62-66, 68-75, Incredible Hulk #115-117, 123-124, 139, 146-147, 157-159, and Marvel Feature #11.
- The Rhino has clashed with the Hulk a few times by this point in Incredible Hulk #104, 124, 157-160, and 171.
- Mandarin found the Hulk a handful of times in Incredible Hulk #107-108 and 114.
- The Sandman has also clashed with the Hulk a few times at this point in Incredible Hulk #113-114, and 138.
- Silver Surfer has been the Hulk's sometimes ally in the Defenders since Marvel Feature #1, however the two have sparred in Tales to Astonish #92-93.
- Iron Man also had a number of uneasy alliances with the Hulk when they both were founding members of the Avengers in Avengers #1. When the Hulk left the group in the following issue the group hounded him in Avengers #3 and various other issues. Iron Man has personally fought the Hulk alone in Incredible Hulk #131.
- Namor the Sub-Mariner was yet another uneasy ally the pair first having worked together in Avengers #3 and occasional allies since forming the Defenders in Marvel Feature #1. The two have also clashed on a few occasions in Tales to Astonish #100 and Incredible Hulk #118.
- At this point in history Hercules had only fought the Hulk once in Tales to Astonish #79.
- Doc Samson clashed with the Hulk on a few occasions by this point, namely Incredible Hulk #141-147 and throughout the course of Incredible Hulk #192-199.
- M.O.D.O.K. had more recently clashed with the Hulk in Incredible Hulk #167-169. The Harpy was a creature that was created when MODOK exposed Betty Ross to gamma rays. She battle the Hulk from during this same period until Bruce Banner was able to cure her.
- The Gremlin has also struck at the Hulk a few times by this point, notably in Incredible Hulk #163, and 187-188.
- 30 Cent variants of this issue were published.
- This issue features a letters page, Greenskin's Grab Bag. Letters are published from Lawrence J. Deyab, Kerry Held, Barry Bedwell, and Parul Spataco.
- Editor Marv Wolfman is listed on page one as "Jolly Good Fellow".
- Seven characters depicted on the cover do not appear in the actual story. They are the Fantastic Four, Captain America, Thor, and Rick Jones.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Incredible Hulk Vol 1 200 on the forums
- Images from Incredible Hulk Vol 1 200
Links and References
- The Grand Comics Database: Incredible Hulk Vol 1 
|Like this? Let us know!|