Appearing in "Sleepwalker!"
- Groot the Toad
- Ronnie (a partier) (Only appearance)
- Nick Fury (Mentioned)
- Ronald Reagan (Mentioned)
- Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) (Vision)
- Sub-Mariner (Namor McKenzie) (Vision)
- Valkyrie (Brunnhilde) (Vision)
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "Sleepwalker!"
Nightmare (Earth-616) breaks the Fourth Wall and addresses the reader directly. He introduces himself and assures the reader that is present in everybody's dreams. He goes on to describe his hatred for Doctor Strange. It is because of Strange that Nightmare can never physically access the waking world. In response, Nightmare enjoys tormenting Strange by striking out at the sorcerer's allies. Recently, he has focused his attention on the Hulk. By plaguing the Hulk with terrible nightmares, he came to realize that he has actually been creating a psychological rift in the Hulk's subconscious. Whereas once the mind of Bruce Banner maintained control over the Hulk, now the monster has reverted to a state of nearly total savagery.
The Hulk meanwhile, continues to plod his way across the countryside in search of Doctor Strange. Due to Nightmare's manipulation, the Hulk believes that Doctor Strange will be able to help him. He terrorizes a neighborhood pool party and willfully attacks the partier without provocation.
Gabe Jones and Kate Waynesboro learn of the incident and pilot a S.H.I.E.L.D. Hoverflier to the scene. Kate provides Jones with a Gamma Gun, but the weapon proves useless against the Hulk. Jones smashes the device across the Hulk's face, but the Hulk responds by sending him sprawling across the ground. Kate tries to calm the Hulk down, and for a brief moment, he transforms back into Bruce Banner. He quickly reverts back into the Hulk though, and smacks Kate to the ground with the back of his hand.
The Hulk ignores everything else around him and concentrates on finding Doctor Strange.
When Nightmare strikes, Bruce Banner has more to fear than sleepless nights and cold sweats - he has to contend with... The Hulk! Is it the Hulk that is - or the Hulk that was? Not even Dr. Strange can answer that question!
- Nightmare is one of only a handful of characters who possess the ability to break the "Fourth Wall".
- Nightmare explains how he has been manipulating the dreams of the Hulk since Incredible Hulk #292.
- He also mentions how the Hulk was a member of the Defenders. The Hulk has been a founding member since Marvel Feature #1. Nightmare states that the group had recently disbanded, he is referring to the events Defenders #125. However, this is not entirely accurate. In that story, the founding member of the Defenders had quit the team, a new roster continued on from that point on.
- Reference is made of the S.H.I.E.L.D.'s recent battle against the Dire Wraiths which happened during the events of Rom #52–66, as well as how Director Nick Fury has been removed from S.H.I.E.L.D. over an apparent act of treason. This story takes place during the events of Nick Fury vs. S.H.I.E.L.D. #1–6.