Appearing in "Funeral Story"
- Betty Ross
- Dawn Fury
- Howling Commandos
- Matt Murdock
- Leiko Wu
- Force Works
- President Bill Clinton (Topical reference)
- George Bush (Topical reference)
- Gerald Ford (Topical reference)
- Jimmy Carter (Topical reference)
- Nick Fury (LMD)
- Nick Fury (Dream)
- Punisher (Dream)
- Marlo Chandler (Mentioned)
- Rick Jones (Mentioned)
- Thaddeus Ross (Mentioned)
- Dr. Doom (Mentioned)
Synopsis for "Funeral Story"
Contessa Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine is shocked to see Nick Fury entering her her room, which is a shock because she believes that he is dead. Their heartfelt reunion is interrupted by the Punisher who puts a gun to Fury's head. Calling out for help, the Contessa spots the Hulk, but he is disinterested in saving Fury who is then shot. The Contessa wakes up to discover it was all a dream. Sitting up in bed, Contess blames herself for Fury's death, believing that there could have been more she could have done. At that moment in New York City, the Hulk is sitting in Central Park thinking the very same thing. Elsewhere, Dino Minello meets up with his fellow Howling Commandos: Gabriel Jones, Izzy Cohen, and Eric Koenig. He informs his former teammates that Nick Fury is dead. After a moment of silence, the members of the Howling Commandos begin to laugh and joke around as they don't believe that Fury could actually be dead.
In Sunville, Florida, Betty Banner gets a phone call from her husband the Hulk. Betty asks for Bruce to come home, but he still blames himself for the death of Nick Fury. When she tells him that this is the price of war, she tells him to come home before he gets hurt. However, he cannot leave just yet and hangs up. Betty grabs her old rosary beads and begins praying for her husband's safe return. While at the White House, the President of the United States meets with Sentor Ralston and Tony Stark to discuss his appearance at the funeral. Regardless of the possible threat to his life, the President insists on attending the funeral. Meanwhile, the Hulk pays a visit to a big and tall store for an outfit, scaring off a tough biker out of the store. While at the Contessa's apartment, she is visited by Dum Dum Dugan and Nick Fury's sister Dawn who insist that she must come to terms with the fact that Fury is dead and attend his funeral. When she agrees to go, Valentina asks what sort of security measures are being put in place, Dugan reveals that the Avenger will be attending the funeral.
As the Hulk leaps toward the site of the funeral a convoy of government officials, and the Howling Commandos heads toward Arlington Cemetery, escorted by the combined efforts of the Avengers and Force Works. As the mourners begin arriving, Matt Murdock arrives and his enhanced senses detect the Hulk is lurking somewhere nearby. When the Howling Commandos continue to joke about Fury not really being dead they are scolded by the Black Widow. It's not until Wolverine comes to pay his respects do the Commandos begin to realize that Fury must be dead after all. The Hulk is later discovered by the Vision, Hercules, and Giant-Man who attack him. This leads to a fight between the Hulk and the Avengers and Force Works. The battle quickly ends when the Countessa chastises them for making a scene during Nick's funeral. The President steps in and tells them to point out that they should all allow the Hulk show his respects. With the funeral back in order, Wolverine warns the Hulk to watch out in the future or he might be the next one to get buried.
After the funeral is over, the Howling Commandos continue to sit in shock at the realization that Nick Fury is actually dead. This makes them to think that all that they can do themselves is to fade away.
- This story states that Nick Fury was killed during the events of Double Edge: Omega #1. However, it has been revealed that this wasn't the real Nick Fury, but a Life Model Decoy as seen in Fury / Agent 13 #1.
- Although they have been active since World War II, the Howling Commandos have all had some kind of means of extending their life spands. In all cases it is not fully explained, although it may be due to their access to the Infinity Formula. How Dawn Fury can still be alive and appearing to be in her middle age in this story is as yet unexplained. However, in the case of Dum Dum Dugan, he was seriously wounded circa 1966 as seen in Original Sins #5. His body was kept in stasis and his mind transmitted into various LMD bodies as explained in New Avengers Vol 4 #17.
- The depiction of Bill Clinton as President of the United States and the appearances of former presidents George H.W. Bush, Gerald Ford, and Jimmy Carter in this story should be considered topical references per the Sliding Timescale of Earth-616.
|Like this? Let us know!|