After an earlier armor was damaged in battle with the Masters of Silence, Stark donned an armor with more weaponry, which he called the War Machine. It was further modified for James Rhodes, who started using this armor alongside his new alias, War Machine.
It possesses various weapons: repulsors, unibeam (added for Rhodes), twin chain gun, laser blade, wrist-mounted flamethrower.
The shoulder pack can deploy Gatling guns, a box rocket launcher, a pulse cannon, and a plasma cannon.
Various munitions are available: depleted uranium, high explosive, concussion, thermite, tear gas, tracer, flare, smoke, anti-tank, anti-ship, flame, fire suppressant, radio repeater or sub-nuke. Several non-lethal options were later added into the suit's MK II: baton, sabot, and rubber slugs for the cannon, concussion pulses from the hands, and strobes via the unibeam.
This model has more plating and shielding than the typical Iron Man armor. A poly-carbonate coating further improves the surface. An additional poly-prismatic coating was temporarily used to counter the Living Laser's powers. It presumably retained the photon shield from previous armors.
Alternate Reality Versions
|||Super Hero Squad Show S1E16
(December 5, 2009)
- According to the War Machine Armor's co-creator Len Kaminski, the closest thing to a direct inspiration for the War Machine Armor was the cover for Incredible Hulk #390.
- The War Machine Armor's designer Kevin Hopgood has described the process the following way: "The design brief was 'It's Iron Man— but cooler!' so I had a lot of leeway! The black-and-silver idea came quite quickly. It's basically a punk rock / heavy-metal version of Iron Man. I was thinking of the armor as a mobile weapons platform, so the shoulder-mounted weaponr was a logical extension of that concept. It was Iron Man as a walking tank."
- 123 appearance(s) of Iron Man Armor Model 11
- 15 minor appearance(s) of Iron Man Armor Model 11
- 3 mention(s) of Iron Man Armor Model 11
- 111 image(s) of Iron Man Armor Model 11