Appearing in "The Spy Who Killed Me!"
- Bethany Cabe (First appearance)
- Nick Fury
- Buck Richlen (First appearance)
- Sergei Kotznin (Behind the scenes)
- Mounteback (Senator)
- Val Adair
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "The Spy Who Killed Me!"
From a rooftop across the street from Tony Stark's penthouse, the Spymaster fires a sniper rifle. The bullet smashes through the office window striking Tony Stark in the back of the head. Content with a job well-done, the Spymaster runs off. What he doesn't yet realize, is that the man he "killed" was actually an artificial Life Model Decoy designed to resemble Tony Stark. The real Tony Stark, garbed in his Iron Man armor, steps out from behind a concealed wall panel. After examining the remains of the destroyed LMD, he flies out the window after Spymaster. He catches up to Spymaster's getaway hover jet, but the vehicle is on automatic pilot. The real Spymaster is miles away.
Tony reflects on the previous evening. He recalls attending a high society party where he met a woman named Bethany Cabe. At the time, he had no idea that he was being secretly watched by a disguised Spymaster. Iron Man has no idea what brought Spymaster back into his life.
Iron Man flies to Stark International where he discovers evidence of Spymaster's actions. He encounters him in the computer center and Spymaster keeps him at arms length with an odd array of hi-tech weaponry. Iron Man continues to pursue him, but Spymaster knocks him off guard by slamming into him with a Monorail car.
While Tony's distracted, Spymaster leaves the plant. Iron Man gives chase and Spymaster launches a missile at him designed to interfere with the armor's cybernetic circuitry. Upon impact, the missile also sets off an incendiary charge, and Iron Man's armor bursts into flames. Iron Man dissipates the flames with his built-in foam ducts and flies towards Spymaster. Spymaster tries to deflect Iron Man's attack with his electrified nunchakus, but the Avenger is ready for him this time. He catches up to the villain, grabs him and hurls him across the facility onto the S.I. airfield. The impact knocks Spymaster unconscious. Iron Man recovers what Spymaster had stolen from the computer center - the file records of Stark International's stockholders.
Meanwhile, Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. presides over a joint conference with NATO. Their goal is to muscle Tony Stark into relinquishing the rights to his weapons technology.
- Plot by Michelinie and Layton, script by Michelinie.
- The Nick Fury that appears in this issue is actually a Life Model Decoy. This is revealed in Iron Man #120.
- First appearance of Bethany Cabe. Bethany becomes a central figure in Tony Stark's life, and one of his many love interests.
- Spymaster appears next in Iron Man #126. He has been lurking behind the scenes at Stark Industries since Iron Man #112.
- In this issue, Tony receives an invitation from Carnelian ambassador Sergei Kotznin. This becomes a key plot point in upcoming issues.
- Although its not made apparent in this issue, the S.H.I.E.L.D./NATO conference is being held aboard the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.
- This issue contains a letters page, "Printed Circuits". Letters are published from Sam Hays and Gary Lawson.
- The title of this issue, "The Spy Who Killed Me!" is an obvious reference to the then contemporary James Bond movie "The Spy Who Loved Me".
- Two of this editors favorite Spy-Master quotes occur this issue:
- "One Shot, One Stiff." (actually this is one of Ted's thoughts)
- (To Iron Man), "I, uh d-don't suppose It'd help if I, er, s-said I give up..?"
Links and References
- Iron Man #117 - Comic Book Database
- Iron Man (Volume 1) series index at the Grand Comics Database Project