- I want the golden glory of being not one of, but, THE world's richest man!
- -- Midas
Appearing in "The Beginning of the End!"
- Alex Niven
- Janice Cord
- Edwin Jarvis
- Ms. Greer (First full appearance) (Tony Stark's secretary)
- Vic (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Aegean Sea
- United States of America
- Midas' floating throne (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Beginning of the End!"
Returning from Africa, Iron Man is struck by simulated lightning fired by Midas' henchmen while Madame Masque sets explosions at Stark Industries, which unintentionally reactivate the LMD Stark recently used to fool the Mandarin. Rendezvousing, Madame Masque and the henchmen return to Midas' compound where Morgan Stark is waiting. At Cord Manufacturing, Alex Nevsky listens to the news and is interrupted by Janice Cord. He romances her until the radio reports that Tony Stark has emerged from the wreckage at Stark Industries. Morgan Stark also hears this and Madame Masque stops him from leaving so Midas can teach him a lesson in loyalty. Iron Man awakes in the Nevada desert and returns to Stark Industries to find the LMD waiting in his office. It explains that it will make a better Tony Stark and Iron Man, and, having changed Stark's filed signature and fingerprints, throws Stark out as an impostor. With his identity stolen Tony can't cash checks or buy clothes, and is even kicked out of Avengers Mansion by Jarvis when he can't supply the proper entrance code. With his chest plate running low on energy, he uses a parked car to charge it. but is chased away by police and picked up by Madame Masque.
The marauder called Midas — the macabre Madame Masque — and an LMD who has vowed to destroy Tony Stark — and take his place! No wonder we call it — "The Beginning of the End!"
- This issue contains a letters page, "Sock It To Shell-Head". Letters are published from Stuaart Cohen, Bill Hubert, Larry Riley, Rick Elrod, Steve Lafler, Deon Brown, and John Carbonaro.
- In this issue it is shown that Tony Stark could not prove his identity to Edwin Jarvis. It is later revealed that the two had been life-long friends with Jarvis serving as young Stark's father figure. In this instance, it seems as if Stark would have had some means of confirming his identity with his long-time butler and confidant.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Iron Man Vol 1 17 on the forums
- 5 Images from Iron Man Vol 1 17
- 1 Reprints of Iron Man Vol 1 17
|Like this? Let us know!|