Appearing in "The Controller Lives!"
- Howard Stark (Only in flashback) (First appearance)
- Meredith McCall (First appearance)
- Creighton McCall (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Eric Thorne (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Controller Lives!"
Having received a distressed call from old flame Meredith McCall, Tony Stark and Jasper Sitwell drive towards Pinewood Sanitarium. Meanwhile Meredith is chased through the woods by the Controller. Tony and Jasper hear her scream and investigate: seeing Iron Man, the Controller retreats unseen. After Stark tells Sitwell that he dated Meredith years ago, they take her to the sanitarium and meet Dr. Thome who gives them a tour, showing them the apparently invalid Basil Sandhurst, transferred there from prison as his health failed. After Tony sends Jasper back to the city, the Controller reveals himself, "Sandhurst" having been a fake, and forces Stark to improve his control helmet. Trusting his instincts, Sitwell stops to search the woods and discovers a control disc. Returning to the sanitarium, Sitwell distracts the Controller, giving Stark time to change into Iron Man and defeat the Controller. Stark and Sitwell leave without speaking to Meredith, as Tony has learned she's married now.
- This issue contains a letters page, "Sock It To Shell-Head". Letters are published from Nil Osmar, Timothy Teeter, and Jean Laidig.
- This is the first appearance of Howard Stark. Although Howard berates young Tony in a flashback this issue, it is eventually revealed that Howard was an alcoholic and abusive to his young son throughout their life together.