Doctor Strange in The Multiverse o Madness - The Loop
Do you like this video?
In the mainstream Marvel universe, a revolving door of individuals have held the name Jack O'Lantern throughout the years, all of them using the mantle for criminal purposes. The current man behind the mask is an unnamed criminal who stumbled upon a stash belonging to one of the previous holders of the identity. The individual preceding him, a man only known as Jack, was an operative of The Crime-Master prior to his death. Claiming to have killed all previous users of the Jack O'Lantern mantle, he has appointed himself as the archenemy of Agent Venom; though he outlived his nemesis and was ultimately killed by Deadpool. Other individuals that have operated under the mantle of the Jack O'Lantern in the main Marvel universe have included:
Mephisto, who in turn granted them the Jack O'Lantern identity, complete with supernatural powers and the ability to turn into Jack at will.
It should be noted that there are two different "factions" concerning the Jack O'Lantern mantle. Macendale, Berkhart, Maguire Beck, the Secret War imposter and the current Jack all use costumes, common illusions and conventional weaponry to portray the character. On the other hand, the Levins brothers both admitted to have sold their souls to
- Jason Macendale, Jr., a mercenary and ex-C.I.A. agent who created the Jack O'Lantern identity, but abandoned it when he became the fourth person to operate as the Hobgoblin.
- Steven Levins, another mercenary who took up the mantle as a member of The Skeleton Crew before vanishing. Levins later resurfaced during the Civil War, working as a "hero hunter" for Baron Zemo's Thunderbolts before he was murdered by The Punisher; his corpse was later possessed by Lucifer and later resurrected as a clone by the Jackal.
- After Levins vanished, a Jack O'Lantern working for Norman Osborn appeared in New York, calling himself "Mad Jack". It was revealed that Mad Jack was actually two people working in unison: Daniel Berkhart, the main performer, and Maguire Beck. Berkhart would go back to using the Mysterio name, while Beck committed crimes as Mad Jack until she was arrested.
- After the death of Jason Macendale Jr., an unnamed man stole both his name and his identity as the Jack O'Lantern and as the Hobgoblin; this version of Jack was captured by S.H.I.E.L.D. during the events of Secret War, and later released. This Jack also used the names of Daniel Berkhart, Maguire Beck and Mad Jack.
- During the Dark Reign, Steven Levins' brother was released from police custody by Norman Osborn after committing a murder as part of a satanic ritual to gain supernatural powers.