Jarella was the princess of the sub-atomic kingdom of K'ai. Though outwardly primitive, this world had remnants of long-forgotten high technology and sorcery. Its people were green-skinned and, for the most part, blond-haired, but otherwise human.
Jarella's city was threatened by a number of menaces, ranging from attacks by the gigantic warthos (warthog like beasts larger than elephants) to the armies of the Warlord Visis. The Hulk appeared in K'ai during an attack of the warthos and drove the huge monsters away. When the people came out to greet him, the Hulk was startled. He noticed that they were green-skinned, like him, and that they welcomed him rather than running away.
The Hulk was especially taken with the lovely and gentle Jarella. She led him into the city and called on her sorcerers to help the Hulk learn their language. The spell succeeded and also allowed the human personality of Bruce Banner to emerge in the Hulk's body. The Hulk and Jarella fell in love, defeated Visus, and seem fated to live happily ever after. Unknowningly Betty Ross was in love with Bruce but she married Glenn Talbot. Unfortunately destiny in the form of a supervillain named Psyklop interfered and snatched the Hulk away from K'ai.
Jarella returned several times later. She was unique in that she accepted the Hulk without qualifications. She came to know Bruce Banner's mind in the Hulk's body, but was equally accepting of the Hulk personality in Banner's body. This idyllic love was always tragically thwarted.
Jarella was transported to Earth alongside the Hulk when Doc Samson tried to retrieve the Hulk from the Microverse. She died while trying to save a boy from being crushed under a falling building. The Hulk took Jarella's body to the Gamma Base, but the doctors were unable to revive her. Eventually the Hulk managed to return her body to K'ai for a proper burial.
Jarella was briefly resurrected along with others after the Chaos King's attack on Earth caused death to be lifted. Jarella returned to the afterlife after Marlo Chandler released Death from herself in order to kill a resurrected Abomination.
Powers and Abilities
Jarella was a great warrior and a brilliant military leader. She was an excellent swords-woman and a superb hand-to-hand combatant.
Jarella possessed the equivalent of the normal human strength of an Earth woman of her physical age, height and build who engaged in intensive regular exercises.
- Jarella and her world are typical of the sword and planet sub-genre of science fiction. They are particularly reminiscent of the Mars novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs.
- The title of the issue featuring Jarella's debut was The Brute Who Shouted Love At the Heart of the Atom. This is an homage to Harlan Ellison's story The Beast Who Shouted Love at the Heart of the World.
- It is significant that Bruce Banner (whose mind was in the Hulk's body) was Jarella's lover and champion. In doing so, he forsook his long-time romantic interest and future wife Betty Ross. . Whether he was the brutish Hulk or Bruce Banner, both personas felt great affection for Jarella.
- 31 appearance(s) of Jarella (Earth-616)
- 19 minor appearance(s) of Jarella (Earth-616)
- 15 mention(s) of Jarella (Earth-616)
- 13 image(s) of Jarella (Earth-616)
- 2 quotation(s) by or about Jarella (Earth-616)