Circus of Crime
Somewhere along the line he learned how to control Bats and make them do his biding, he was then approached by the Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime. They offered to let him join them in their life of given his talent to control Bats; Joseph accepted and became part of their team with his own costume and renaming himself "Blackwing". While he was a member of the group, they battled against Daredevil and lost, while the others were captured, Blackwing escaped.
Manfredi worked as an agent for Silvermane's Hydra, serving as the Air Action Division Leader, when his father was leader their. He participated in the capture of Foggy Nelson, and battled Daredevil, Black Widow, Nick Fury, and S.H.I.E.L.D. He was once again defeated by Daredevil.
Manfredi later teamed up with Jack O'Lantern to stake out his father's house when the Red Skull took the control of the base, turning the mansion into his so-called "Skull-House". The duo searched the Skull House and battled Captain America during this event. 
After that Manfredi and Jack O'Lantern were recruited by Mother Night to join the Skeleton Crew after the Red Skull was impressed with their abilities. Blackwing, Jack O'Lantern, and Cutthroat fought Crossbones and Diamondback before they joined the Skeleton Crew. He and the rest of the Skeleton Crew were defeated by Captain America, Diamondback, and Falcon, and then taken to the Vault.
Masters of Evil
After that last defeat, Joseph abandoned the Blackwing identity and became a crime lord creating his own private villains in Heavy Mettle.He ordered Firestrike to bring him the Torpedo Armor of New Warriors member Turbo in hopes of proving himself to his father and the other crime bosses of New York. The New Warriors defeated Joseph's group and Firestrike is currently in the Witness Protection Program in exchange for his testimony against Joseph Manfredi.
Powers and Abilities
- Marksman: Manfredi is also a skilled marksman.
- Bat Trainer: Manfredi is an expert trainer of bat.
- Manfredi possesses the normal human strength of a man of his ages, and with his own height and build who engages in extensive regular exercise.
- Mutated Bats: Manfredi has a has a number of specially mutated bats bred for abnormal strength, size, and intelligence.
- Blackwing's Suit: Manfredi wears a costume consisting of synthetic stretch fabric over chain mail body armor. Devices in his costume give him the power of flight for short distances, via directed motion hovering.
- 28 appearance(s) of Joseph Manfredi (Earth-616)
- 3 minor appearance(s) of Joseph Manfredi (Earth-616)
- 4 mention(s) of Joseph Manfredi (Earth-616)
- 5 image(s) of Joseph Manfredi (Earth-616)
- 1 item(s) used/owned by Joseph Manfredi (Earth-616)