Anthony and Joe Russo grew up in Cleveland, Ohio. Joe graduated from the University of Iowa majoring in English and writing. The Russo Brothers both graduated from Case Western Reserve University where they began directing, writing, and producing careers.
Joe married Pooja Raj in 2011 and the couple has two daughters.
During their early career, the Russo Brothers worked as directors on several television sitcoms including Arrested Development, Happy Endings and Community. Before working for Marvel Studios, the Russo Brothers directed the 2002 film Welcome to Collinwood and the 2006 film You, Me and Dupree. Since joining Marvel Studios, the Russo Brothers have acted as directors on multiple Marvel film and television projects including:
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - Co-Director
- Marvel's Agent Carter Season 1 Episode 2 "Bridge and Tunnel" (2015) - Director
- Captain America: Civil War (2016) - Co-Director
- Avengers: Infinity War (2018) - Co-Director
- Avengers: Endgame (2019) - Co-Director
Under the alias of Gozie Agbo, Joe Russo also played small on-screen roles as "Dr. Fine" in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, "Dr. Broussard" in Captain America: Civil War and as a "grieving man" in Avengers: Endgame. Russo additionally portrayed a paparazzi hassling Happy Hogan in a deleted scene from Avengers: Infinity War.