Appearing in "The Mysterious Mister Hyde!"
- Mister Hyde (Calvin Zabo) (Main story and flashback) (Origin revealed) (First appearance)
- New York City Police Department
- Robert Louis Stevenson (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "The Mysterious Mister Hyde!"
Thor flies by, leaving town. Watching him is a mysterious figure who states that it is time for Dr. Don Blake to receive an unexpected visit from Mister Hyde.
Meanwhile Thor has gone to Asgard, where he again pleads with his father Odin for permission to marry Jane Foster. And again Odin refuses.
Hyde arrives at Blake's office building, where he recalls how Blake had refused to employ him. So Hyde, real name Calvin Zabo, invented a formula which gives him the strength of 12 men. When he transforms, he becomes a huge, ugly creature.
In Asgard, Thor continues to plead with Odin, who when Thor raises his hammer towards him, blasts Thor with an Odin-blast and then orders him away.
Mr. Hyde breaks into Blake's office and threatens Jane. Thor arrives as Don Blake and confronts Hyde. Hyde tosses Blake out a window. Blake is able to tap his cane against a wall as he falls, and transforms to Thor. He returns to the office to find Hyde gone. After assuring himself Jane is unharmed, Thor sets out to find Hyde.
Across town, Hyde hears that Blake is still alive. He gloats that he can still defeat the unsuspecting Thor.
Next morning Thor bursts his way through a bank wall, tears off the safe door, and escapes with the money. As word of his crime spreads, the town has the feel of a city under siege...
Appearing in "The Thread"
- Dr. Waynne
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "The Thread"
The mysterious death of a scientist reveals a mystical device and leads to the death of a centuries-old Italian count.
Appearing in "Stroom's Strange Solution"
- Appearances not yet listed
Synopsis for "Stroom's Strange Solution"
An alien world is dangerously overpopulated, so a scientist releases a gas that shrinks the entire population, making the same amount of space accomodate more people.
Appearing in "Tales of Asgard: Surtur the Fire Demon"
Races and Species:
- Yggdrasill - The World Tree
Synopsis for "Tales of Asgard: Surtur the Fire Demon"
Hearing that the trolls have joined the evil Surtur, Odin invades their land. When the trolls attempt to ambush Odin, he thrusts his sword into the earth, releasing power that drives the trolls away.
Odin faces Surtur himself, as the demon transforms into a sinister multi-headed serpent. But Odin with his power draws meteors down onto Surtur.
Realizing he cannot defeat Odin directly, Surtur attacks the earth. Boring deep into the earth, he releases a huge chunk of matter into the sky which becomes earth's moon.
Using his powers, Odin constructs the Rainbow bridge which connects Asgard to earth. Upon reaching earth, Odin uses his power to set the earth spinning, trapping Surtur deep within the planet. From there the fire demon produces heat and energy for the earth. Hoping to earn freedom, Surtur presents Odin with the gift of a flying horse.
- First appearance of Mister Hyde.
- First appearance of the Rock Trolls.
- On the cover, Mr. Hyde is shown wearing a green jacket, while within the issue itself he is dressed in all purple. His clothes, however appear green in color, as do they in the issues that follow.
- This is the first Thor story to end in a cliffhanger.
- "Tales of Asgard explains the origin of the Moon.
- This issue is reprinted in other comics and books, see references for more info. =
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Journey into Mystery Vol 1 99 on the forums
- Images from Journey into Mystery Vol 1 99
- ↑ The first story is reprinted in the following comics/TPB's:
- Essential Series Vol 1 Thor 1
- Marvel Masterworks: Thor 1
- Epic Collection Vol 1 Thor 1
- Mighty Thor Omnibus Vol 1 1
- Marvel Tales Vol 2 13
|Like this? Let us know!|