Khitai was a vast realm to the far east of the Hyborian world. Its civilization claimed to have ancient roots and to be older than the kingdoms of the west. The name Khitai itself became synonymous with tales of ancient wisdom, of secrets of arcane magic, and of mastery of the arts.
The Khitans themselves were convinced of their cultural superiority and attempted to isolate themselves from the western "barbarians," by which they meant any foreigner. The terrain of their area favored them, as to the west of Khitai lay the vast Wuhuan Desert. Few travelers would risk crossing the desert and facing its nomadic tribes. Still the Khitans constructed a Great Wall as further protection from potential invaders.
The area within the wall was vast and diverse. Urbanized areas, fertile plains, bamboo jungles, and taiga forests were all part of Khitai. There were many city-states, though Paikang reigned supreme among them. Earning it the position of capital. It benefited from its location at the far end of a major trade route and was a center of industry and commerce. The marketplaces of the city offered drugs, silks, spices, gold, silver, jade, jewelry, artwork, and magical equipment.
There was no real state religion. Many gods and demons have their own worshipers. There were allegedly a thousand or nine thousand gods, including Cheng-Ho, goddess of the moon and Yun (who was worshiped by prayers and incense).
Some practice rituals of human sacrifice, though it is not a universal practice.
Points of Interest
- 17 Appearances of Khitai
- 1 Minor Appearances of Khitai
- 85 Media Khitai was Mentioned in
- 3 Images featuring Khitai
- Location Gallery: Khitai
- 9 locations in Khitai
Links and References
- ↑ Conan Saga #97; Bestiarie of Thoth-Amon, the Skirri's plate
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #57
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Handbook of the Conan Universe #1
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #35
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #32
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #34
- ↑ Handbook of the Conan Universe #1; Gods and Worship's entry
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #4
- ↑ Marvel Art of Conan the Barbarian #1