Kronos and his brother Uranos were of the ruling class of Eternals countless years ago. Uranos craved battle and conquest, and war broke out between the Eternals who followed Uranos and those who sought peace, led by Kronos. When Uranos was defeated, he and his followers were exiled into space and Kronos became sole ruler of the Eternals of Earth.
500,000 years ago, Kronos was working in his laboratory in the Earth Eternals' city of Titanos on an experiment with cosmic energy when he accidentally caused an explosion that destroyed Titanos and Kronos' physical body. However, his mind survived and became one with the universe and time.
Thousands of years later, his sons A'Lars and Zuras also went to war due to vastly different points of view regarding Eternal reproduction. Eventually, however, an agreement was reached: A'Lars would travel to the moon of Titan to meet Sui-San, the only survivor of Uranos' old followers, and try to unlock the secret of Eternal reproduction. With the help of Kronos, the two were able to have biological children, but one of them, Thanos, became one of the Universe's greatest menaces, taking countless lives wherever he went.
Mentor determined that the threat of his son Thanos could no longer be ignored and wanted to create a being of sufficient power to defeat Thanos, so he asked for his father's help. Kronos agreed to help Mentor, and the two visited the human Arthur Douglas, who had just been severely injured by Thanos and was about to die, alongside his wife and daughter. Kronos then fashioned a humanoid body from the earth, granted it superhuman powers, and cast Douglas' spirit inside it. Thus he created the being who would become known as Drax the Destroyer.
Kronos possesses a level of intelligence that ranks far above superhuman, as well as telepathy and cosmic awareness. He can evidently exert control over the souls of deceased mortals, even to the extent of using them to animate artificial bodies, which he can create from inanimate matter. Kronos has also become one of the embodiments of time, and as such can exert an unknown degree of control over its flow, which he does in very subtle ways when required. Thanos classified him at the same power level of Galactus, Zeus, and Odin.
- Super-Genius Intelligence: Before the accident that gave him control over time, Kronos was a brilliant scientist with expertise in many subjects.
Interstellar teleportation using his own powers.
- According to the Machine, Titanos was destroyed when Kronos attempted to master time and succeeded. This is different from previous accounts in which Kronos was said to have been probing the secrets of life when the accident occurred.
- The idea that the accident that transformed Kronos into a disembodied Cosmic Being took place "five thousand years ago" (i.e., circa 3000 B.C.) was first presented in Quasar #19. This date was pushed back to 500,000 years ago by the Eternals' Chronology that was published in Eternals: Thanos Rises #1.
- 21 appearance(s) of Kronos (Earth-616)
- 9 minor appearance(s) of Kronos (Earth-616)
- 9 mention(s) of Kronos (Earth-616)
- 16 image(s) of Kronos (Earth-616)