The Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be is a plane of non-existence outside Eternity, the living embodiment of everything that is and ever was. The Queen of Nevers, personification of what might be and paramour to Eternity, dwells in this realm. Their romantic encounters there always result in moments where anything can happen in the universe.
During a romantic moment between Eternity and the Queen of Nevers, Incredulous Zed used the Edge of Reality, a sword which could cut through reality itself, to infiltrate the Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be and steal the Never Queen's heart, all in order to build the Impericon with it. After the heart was recovered with the help of Dawn Greenwood and the Silver Surfer, Eternity expelled Zed from within himself for his crime. In the Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be, Zed was enslaved by his mysterious benefactor, Glorian, the Maker of Miracles.
When Earth-616 began to fade away as a consequence of the last incursion, the Queen of Nevers alerted Dawn and the Surfer about the impending end of the universe before ceasing to exist, buying them enough time to escape to the Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be. There, Glorian and Incredulous Zed (under the guise of the Lowly Zee) convinced the couple to recreate the old universe using the energy of Glorian's master, the Shaper of Worlds. The task eventually depleted the Shaper's power and Glorian took advantage of this to slay him, usurping his position in the process. Dawn and the Surfer then found the Never Queen's heart and used it to bring her back, making it possible for them to choose the reborn Earth-616 over Glorian's duplicated universe, thus causing his death.
Around the same time, Loki and the ghost of Verity Willis also avoided the erasure of their universe by going to the Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be, albeit a different part of it. Those Who Sit Above in Shadow confronted the duo there, but Loki frightened them away by menacing to reveal their possible true origin. He subsequently reconciled with his alternate future self before moving on to what was next.
For having perished outside reality, the Shaper of Worlds was able to see the incarnations of previous Multiverses alive in the Far Shore. Since they were supposed to be dead after going through a renewal cycle (process in which a Multiverse dies and is replaced with a new one), the Shaper's ghost sought Galactus to warn him about their survival.
Later, the Queen of Nevers rescued the One Above All from Logos while he slaughtered the few Celestials who managed to survive the Beyonders for his master, the First Firmament. From the safety of the Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be, the Never Queen kick-started the rebirth of the Celestials through the One Above All to help Multi-Eternity against the First Firmament.
- The Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be has been depicted as both an empty void and a desert-like landscape, with the former being its most prominent depiction.
- The Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be's nature as a plane of non-existence allowed it to remain after the Multiverse collapsed; however, it should be noted that Glorian stated it too could have been destroyed by the last incursion if the rift he left open for Dawn Greenwood and the Silver Surfer hadn't been closed.
- 20 appearance(s) of Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be
- 4 minor appearance(s) of Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be
- 1 mention(s) of Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be
- 1 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be
- 8 image(s) of Land of Couldn't-Be Shouldn't-Be