Hisssarlion, a Serpent-Man and high priest of Set, stated that there was only a race of serpent-things, but for reasons unknown they split into two distinct races, two Snake-People, the Man-Serpents with their mask-like human faces and serpentine hair, and the Serpent-Men, humanoid snake-headed creatures, spawn of Set's son Sligguth.
While the Serpent-Men became served by the early men, the Man-Serpents tended to be more reclusive (though both species were seen alongside in their apparent demise).
Eventually, a Pict shaman found about the weakness of both races: the sentence Ka Nama Kaa Lajerama. Using it, Men overthrew the Serpent-Men, and slew the Man-Serpents. They believe to have won a total victory, but unknown to them, both races survived, the Man-Serpents going in hiding while the Serpent-Men learned to hypnotically disguise themselves as humans.
Though most men forgot the Serpent-Men and Man-Serpents after the Great Cataclysm, the legends of man-headed serpents reached Nemedia, making of those creatures sons of Set came from Stygia. They were whispered about in Kheshatta, City of Magicians of Stygia.
While the Serpent-Men all went to Thulsa Doom, the Man-Serpents, less adventurous, remained in Thoth-Amon's service, including Ssarbaarix, Mehennassar, Nuubissat, Hotephaaph, and Thefertaash.
Powers and Abilities
The little snakes forming the Man-Serpent's "hair" are venomous.
- The Man-Serpents were created by Robert E. Howard in the story "The God in the Bowl", published in 1952 and adapted by Roy Thomas in Conan the Barbarian #7 (1971) as "The Lurker Within!".
- Lin Carter's Slorgs/Serpent-Women are similar to Robert E. Howard's Man-Serpents. Unlike Carter's Dragon Kings, similar to the Serpent-Men and who were confirmed to be similar related, the Slorgs' possible relation to other serpentine beings haven't been developed as far.
- Unlike the Serpent-Men, they could not shape-shift.
- Discuss Man-Serpents on the forums
- 1 representatives of Man-Serpents
- Appearances of Man-Serpents
- Minor Appearances of Man-Serpents
- Media Man-Serpents was Mentioned in
- Race Gallery: Man-Serpents
- Images of Man-Serpents
Links and References
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Conan the Barbarian #7
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Conan the Barbarian #89
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Savage Sword of Conan #192; The Cape of Dark Dreams - Skull on the Seas Part III
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Marvel Zombies Handbook #1; Set's entry
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Marvel Tarot #1; Get of Set
- ↑ Conan the Barbarian #74
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Savage Sword of Conan #190; Skull on the Seas Part One
- ↑ Conan the Savage #1; The Circles of Set
- ↑ Marvel Zombies Handbook #1; Demons' entry
- ↑ 10.00 10.01 10.02 10.03 10.04 10.05 10.06 10.07 10.08 10.09 10.10 10.11 Savage Sword of Conan #191; Jade Coils in Black Khemi - Skull on the Seas Part II
- ↑ Serpent Men