Dr. Ted Sallis worked with Project Sulfur a division of Weapon Plus, which aimed to allow soldiers to survive bio-chemical warfare. He developed the "SO-2 Serum," to give its user immunity to all known toxic biochemicals. However, it became unusable when it was discovered that it had a side-effect: turning its users into monsters.
Amadeus Cho discovered a Man-Thing on a mysterious island in the Savage Land and concluded that it could not be Ted Sallis based on the fact that it appeared to have been rooted in the same spot for a long time, and other inconsistencies with reports from the Thunderbolts' files on the creature. The native tribe on the island used the life blood of the Man-Thing to resurrect Shanna.
Powers and Abilities
- Man-Thing Physiology: are beings composed of vegetable matter after being injected with the SO-2 Serum.
- Malleability: they are also able to pass through many fences by oozing through the gaps in doors. They can also shape and elongate their limbs to grab people or create blade like weapon from a bark like material.
- Superhuman Strength: they posses a level of super-strength.
- Superhuman Durability: Its porous form is resistant to most physical attacks because it is not entirely solid; a fist or a bullet will usually pass right through it.
- Healing: life blood of the Man-Thing could resurrect people including Shanna.
- Empathy/Acidic Secretion: A Man-Thing's body produces fuming sulfuric acid which can cause severe burns when in contact with the flesh of emoting beings. When the being ceases to radiate emotion, the Man-Thing's body ceases production of acid and secretes a mild, soapy mucus that tends to neutralize the acid. The Man-Thing will only attack a being that emotionally provokes it.
- 114 appearance(s) of Man-Things
- 22 minor appearance(s) of Man-Things
- 6 mention(s) of Man-Things
- 5 image(s) of Man-Things
- 51 representative(s) of Man-Things