Mao Tse Tung was the leader of the People's Republic of China from 1949 until his death in 1976.
In the Earth-616 universe he was depicted as the leader of a "Communist nation" that often operated behind the "Bamboo Curtain". Chairman Mao oversaw the deployment of the Radioactive Man to fight Thor, and the Missing Link to be unleashed on American soil. The creature was ultimately stopped by the Hulk, and Russia apparently captured the Hulk.
Mao also sent agents to America to steal S.H.I.E.L.D.'s latest designs for a new prototype Life-Model Decoy in order to make a replica of Captain America in order to make him look bad in the eyes of the American public. This prototype would prove to be faulty, and destroyed by Captain America himself.
Soon after that event, the international terrorist Mandarin mind-controlled the Hulk and sent him in a rampage to China. Mandarin's goal was to make each national power believe that other powers have attacked, unleashing a worldwide war so that he could get the profits. Indeed Mao himself deployed the Chinese army against the Hulk, believing that the Russians were behind the treacherous plot. The Hulk and Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D. stopped the Mandarin.
- As Earth-616 operates on a sliding time scale, Mao Tse Tung's appearances in the issues referenced below would be considered merely topical for the time in which the comics he appeared were originally published. His appearances were all in comics that were published in 1963-1968, when Mao was still in power.
- Mao Tse Tung's face was shown in the art of Defenders Vol 1 59 while Belathauzer explained how members of his demonic race already roam Earth disguised as humans in order to sow discord and create chaos, implying that Mao is secretly a demon. It is unclear if this is actually the case.
- 4 appearance(s) of Mao Tse Tung (Earth-616)
- 1 minor appearance(s) of Mao Tse Tung (Earth-616)
- 7 mention(s) of Mao Tse Tung (Earth-616)
- 1 mention(s) in handbook(s) of Mao Tse Tung (Earth-616)
- 1 image(s) of Mao Tse Tung (Earth-616)