Appearing in "The Bishop in Black"
- Hellfire Trading Company (Main story and flashback)
- The Five (Only in flashback)
- Professor X (Charles Xavier) (Only in flashback)
- Pyro (St. John Allerdyce) (Only in flashback)
- Krakoa (Main story and flashback)
- Numerous unidentified mutants (Only in flashback)
- Logan (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
- Eosimias (Hong Lianje) (Only in flashback)
- DoD (Named only)
- Quiet Council of Krakoa (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
- Marauders (Named only)
- Forge (Named only)
- T. (Named only)
- White Bishop (Christian Frost) (Mentioned)
Races and Species:
- Krakoas (Main story and flashback)
- Crows (Only in flashback)
- Mutants (Main story and flashback)
- Humans (Only in flashback)
- Gods (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
- Horses (Only in flashback)
- Earth (Main story and flashback)
- Pacific Ocean (Main story and flashback)
- United States of America (Only in flashback)
- New York (Only in flashback)
- Langley, McLean, Fairfax County, Virginia (Named only)
- Japan (Only in flashback)
- United Kingdom (Named only)
- London, England (Mentioned)
- Atlantic Ocean (Named only)
- Island M (Named only)
- Brazil (Named only)
- Mars (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
- The Garden (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
- Flowers of Krakoa (Only in flashback)
- X-Uniforms (Only in flashback)
- Cerebro (Only in flashback)
- The Marauder (Named only)
- The Mercury (First appearance; unnamed)
- The Upstart (First appearance; unnamed)
- We Have Always Been (Mentioned) (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "The Bishop in Black"
The three strongholds of the Hellfire Trading Company loom over the horseshoe of Krakoa’s Hellfire Bay - the White Palace and Red Keep stand on the cliff sides at the bay’s edges, and Blackstone sits on an island of rock at its center. Sebastian Shaw stands on a balcony at Blackstone and reflects on his position as Black King. He then walks through a Krakoan gate that takes him into the resurrection chamber at Arbor Magna. There, Charles Xavier and the Five are waiting for him, along with a drunk, recently resurrected Pyro. Egg reassures Shaw that his son, Shinobi, will be brought back completely, minus the memory of his death. As the group watches, Shinobi Shaw emerges from his egg and stares up at his father. Sebastian gathers himself and tells his son that a lot has changed in a short amount of time.
Sometime later, the Shaws walk through the joyful crowd gathered outside Arbor Magna. Sebastian tells Shinobi to follow him and they enter a nearby gate that leads to Blackstone. As Sebastian explains the Hellfire Trading Company’s role in providing Krakoan drugs to humankind, Shinobi changes into a red suit provided by his father in anticipation of Shinobi taking the role of Red King. The Shaws then travel to Central Park through another gate. There they find a military guard post and a pair of humans in makeshift X-Men uniforms standing in their way. Sebastian hands his son his walking stick and asks for a power-up. Shinobi hits his father across the midsection with the cane and Sebastian delivers a super-powered punch to the ground that scatters the would-be mutant worshippers and clears their path.
Over dinner, Sebastian tells his son that Emma Frost is in over her head running the Hellfire Trading Company, but that he is dedicated to help her for the greater good of mutantkind. Shinobi sits stoically and tells Sebastian he’s still deciding whether he wants to kill him. He then tells his father he has business in Tokyo. Sebastian leads them through yet another Krakoan gateway that takes them to Japan. Shinobi says he’ll return to Krakoa in a few days, but that he must first go alone into a house nearby. Inside, Shinobi tells an old man that he has not forgotten the debt he owes. He then retrieves a sword.
A Naval Intelligence report notes that the mutants are using Island M for an unknown purpose, and could have other bases of operations the U.S. government does not know about. The report’s author also speculates that Forge may be providing the mutants with advanced technology, given the speed the Marauder has recently demonstrated. Additionally, a series of texts was intercepted in which Kate Pryde attempted to convince Bishop to join Hellfire as the Red Bishop.
Walking through Blackstone, Sebastian tells Shinobi that the Red Throne is out of the picture for the time being, but that a Black seat is his if he wants it. They walk down to the Blackstone dock as the Mercury disembarks. Sebastian tells his son that the submarine belongs to the White Bishop, but that as the Black Bishop, Shinobi would have a ship of his own in the Hellfire fleet. A warship then uncloaks in front of their eyes. Sebastian says it’s time to leave the human race behind, and that Hellfire should take as much of their wealth as they can before the aging top 1% dies off. Shinobi says he’ll become the Black Bishop if his father tells him how he died. Sebastian lies and says that Emma Frost and Kate Pryde conspired to murder him.
SALT WATER & HELLFIRE! THE NEW BLACK BISHOP OF THE HELLFIRE CLUB!
Sebastian Shaw recruits a new Black Bishop continuing with his machinations against the two Queens of the Hellfire Club! Meanwhile, Captain Kate and her Marauders wreak havoc on the high seas from the Atlantic to the Pacific in the name of the mutant cause!