Appearing in 1st story
- Iron Man (Tony Stark)
- Captain America (Steve Rogers)
- Hulk (Bruce Banner)
- Thor (Thor Odinson)
- Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff)
- Pepper Potts
- Loki Laufeyson
- Hawkeye (Clint Barton) (Mind-controlled by Loki)
- Doctor Erik Selvig (Mind-controlled by Loki)
- Several unnamed brainwashed men
- Project P.E.G.A.S.U.S.
- Phase 2
- Hydra (Only in flashback)
- Red Skull (Johann Schmidt) (Only in flashback)
- Peggy Carter (Only in flashback)
- Georgi Luchkov
- Dr. Heinrich Schafer
- Destroyer (Mentioned)
- World Security Council (Appears on a computer screen, TV, or hologram only) (Shadow only)
- Councilwoman Hawley (Appears on a computer screen, TV, or hologram only) (Shadow only)
- Numerous unnamed council members
- Bucky Barnes (Only in flashback)
Races and Species:
- Earth-199999 (Main story and flashback)
- Loki's Sceptre
- Arc Reactor
- Iron Man Armor MK VI
- Captain America's Shield
- Hawkeye's Bow
- Black Widow's Gauntlets
- Chitauri Gun (Cameo)
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Quinjet
- Acura Cars
- Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II
- Boeing 737 Business Jet
Synopsis for 1st story
Loki encounters The Other, an envoy for an alien race known as the Chitauri. In exchange for retrieving the Tesseract, an energy source of limitless power, the Other promises Loki a Chitauri army with which he can subjugate the Earth. Nick Fury, director of the espionage agency S.H.I.E.L.D., and his lieutenant Agent Hill arrive at a remote research facility during an evacuation, where physicist Doctor Erik Selvig is leading a research team experimenting on the Tesseract. Agent Phil Coulson explains that the object has begun radiating an unusual form of energy, as well as low levels of gamma radiation. The Tesseract suddenly activates and opens a portal, allowing Loki to reach Earth. Loki takes the Tesseract and uses his scepter to enslave Selvig and several agents, including Clint Barton, to aid him in his getaway.
In response to the attack, Fury reactivates the "Avengers Initiative". S.H.I.E.L.D. moves to their new base of operations, the Helicarrier, where Coulson contacts Agent Natasha Romanoff, who at the moment was in the middle of an interrogation where she was tied to a chair. But Coulson tells her that "Agent Barton has been compromised", Romanoff breaks loose of her bondage and manages to defeat her captors, Romanoff is then sent to India to recruit Dr. Bruce Banner; Coulson visits Tony Stark to have him review Selvig's research; and Fury approaches Steve Rogers with an assignment to retrieve the Tesseract. While Barton steals iridium needed to stabilize the Tesseract's power, Loki causes a distraction in Stuttgart, Germany, leading to a confrontation with Rogers, Stark, and Romanoff that ends with Loki's surrender. While Loki is being escorted to S.H.I.E.L.D., Thor, his adoptive brother, arrives and frees him hoping to convince him to abandon his plan and return to Asgard. After a confrontation with Stark and Rogers, Thor agrees to take Loki to S.H.I.E.L.D.'s flying aircraft carrier, the Helicarrier. There Loki is imprisoned while Banner and Stark attempt to locate the Tesseract. The Avengers become divided, both over how to approach Loki and the revelation that S.H.I.E.L.D. plans to harness the Tesseract to develop weapons as a deterrent against hostile extra-terrestrials. As the group argues, Barton and Loki's other possessed agents attack the Helicarrier, disabling its engines in flight and causing Banner to transform into the Hulk.
Iron Man! Thor! Captain America! Black Widow! Hawkeye! The Hulk! They’re all here…and so is Loki!
- When the trickster god makes a play for the mighty Tesseract, it’ll take a historic assemblage of heroes to save the day…that is, if they don’t kill each other first!
- This is the official Marvel's The Avengers movie tie-in and novelization.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Marvel's The Avengers Vol 1 1 on the forums
- Images from Marvel's The Avengers Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|