- Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Five! It has been Eleven Hundred Years since I fell into the unnatural sleep from which thou didst awaken me! All is dead then, I fear! Aye, it must be so, that the spell I conjured forth didst not affect all whom I did love -- And that it did not I can see, else why would this crypt contain naught but my poor flesh, and not the sleeping forms of those with whom I did dwell?
Appearing in "Magic Is Alive!"
- Modred the Mystic (First appearance)
- The Other (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Gervasse (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Janice (Only in flashback)
- Merlin (Mentioned)
- King Arthur (Mentioned)
- Enamorath (Invoked)
- Emmoreth (Invoked)
- Ba'al (Invoked)
- Set (Invoked)
- Elianath (Invoked)
- Darkhold (Only in flashback)
Synopsis for "Magic Is Alive!"
Janet Lyton and Grant Whittacker are digging in a tunnel to find the lost tower of Darkhold in England. Janet's devotion to this find leads them to work through a storm, which washes out the supports of their tunnel, causing it to cave in and trapping them inside. They find another tunnel has been unearthed, however, and it gives off a powerful light. In the adjoining chamber they find what they believe is a perfectly preserved human body in a tomb dating back to the Dark Ages.
However, when Janet accidentally knocks over one of the braziers of strange fire, the man comes to life. He reveals himself to be Modred, a magician's apprentice during the final years of Camelot. He tells them how he was the pupil of a wizard by the name of Gervasse, and was betrothed to his daughter Janice. However, Modred was ordered to resume his training under the tutelage of Merlin. Refusing to do so, as it would mean never getting married to Janet, Modred (in a bid to prove himself an adequate mystic) decides to go to the tower of Darkhold and claim the book of Darkhold, in the hopes that he will be the first magician to ever conquer it, as it is said that the book steals the souls of those who try to master it.
Modred climbed the top of the tower and combatted the book's mystic might. This duel of magic was interrupted when Janice tried to stop him from facing the book. The book took advantage of this and tried to possess Janice's soul. However, Modred sacrificed his own in order to save her and entered into a death-like trance. Knowing that Modred would one day return to life, Gervasse had a special tomb prepared for the man's body to prevent him from suffering the wrath of time.
Finishing his story, Modred's tale is questioned by Whittacker who doesn't believe in magic. However, he changes his tune a little when Modred uses his magical abilities to free them from the tunnel, magnetizing the rocks that trap them so that they repel from each other.
Finally free of the tunnel, Modred muses on what wonders he'll see now that he's walking the Earth again after 1100 years in suspended animation.
Appearing in "It Happened in the Attic!"
Synopsis for "It Happened in the Attic!"
- In Magic is Alive!
- Plot by Wolfman, script by Mantlo.
- Splash page (page 1) signed by Hannigan, Romita and Giacoia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Marvel Chillers Vol 1 1 on the forums
- 6 Images from Marvel Chillers Vol 1 1
|Like this? Let us know!|