Appearing in "Death Sentence"
- Punisher (Frank Castle) (Main story and flashback)
- Syndicate (Only in flashback)
- Costa Family (First appearance)
- International Industrial Alliance (First appearance)
- Mike Hauley (Only appearance; dies)
- James Jefferson Holt (Only appearance; dies) (Only in flashback)
- Grundy (informant) (Only appearance; dies)
- Maria Castle (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Frank Castle, Jr. (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Lisa Castle (First appearance) (Only in flashback)
- Forrest Hunt (First appearance) (Unnamed) (Only in flashback)
- Mike Hauley's daughter (First appearance)
- Tommy Hauley (First appearance)
- Mike Hauley's wife (First appearance)
Races and Species:
- Humans (Main story and flashback)
- Earth (Main story and flashback)
Synopsis for "Death Sentence"
In downtown Manhattan, the Punisher prevents a political assassination by shooting the assassin hiding on a neighboring rooftop. Interrogating the injured man, Punisher realizes he is an old Army buddy named Mike Hauley. Hauley alludes to other military companions who have become assassins as well, but before the Punisher can learn more, a passing helicopter drops a bomb on the rooftop, killing Hauley and narrowly missing the Punisher. Punisher resolves to visit Hauley’s family outside Chicago. Meanwhile, the detective assigned to the case, Dave Hamilton, recounts two previous assassinations recently carried out by ex-military men who were both killed soon after.
The Punisher visits a contact in Chicago but is fired upon by a sniper as he leaves, killing his contact in the crossfire. When the Punisher catches up to him the sniper tries to use a weapon hidden in his watch but it electrocutes himself instead. Meanwhile Hamilton and his partner dig into the Punisher’s past, learning that he was a highly-decorated Marine who was visiting his family on leave, only to witness them all gunned down by the mafia when they accidentally stumbled upon a mafia execution. Driven mad, he began a one-man war on the mafia, adopting the name bestowed upon him by the newspapers—the Punisher.
With no leads, Punisher visits Hauley’s widow and children outside Chicago. Hauley’s widow blames the Punisher for her husband’s death, but when her house is blown up, the Punisher saves both her and her children, and she tells him that her husband had been working for a man named Mark Christanson. Infiltrating Christanson’s mansion by disguising himself as one of his personal hired guard, Punisher learns that Christanson has developed a high-tech laser cannon and intends to overthrow the US Government with his private army. When he is discovered, Punisher fights his way through Christanson’s men and uses a bomb to blow up an underground generator, destroying Christanson’s personal force field the entire mansion as well.
Scanning the news reports later, Punisher watches Detective Hamilton vow to bring him to justice.
Appearing in "The Power Broker Resolution!"
- Dominic Fortune (First appearance)
- Sabbath Raven (Gina Morelli) (First appearance)
- Imperial Japan
- Colonel Ito (First appearance)
- Carol Einhorn (First appearance)
- Jacob Einhorn (Only appearance; dies)
Races and Species:
- Mississippi Queen (First appearance)
Synopsis for "The Power Broker Resolution!"
A rich woman hires Dominic Fortune to kidnap her ex-husband, as he owes her more than 250,000 in back alimony.