- And don't you lecture me either Hank Pym!
Appearing in "Some Say Spidey Will Die By Fire...Some Say By Ice!"
- Margay Sorenson (First appearance)
- New York City
- East Side, East River
- Riverside Terrace
- Janet van Dyne's apartment
- York Avenue
- Queensboro Bridge
- Spider-Man's Web-Shooters
- Thermic Stabilizer
Synopsis for "Some Say Spidey Will Die By Fire...Some Say By Ice!"
Spider-Man is swinging past the Queensborough Bridge when he is suddenly attacked by a blast of flame, and then a chunk of ice knocking him out and sending him falling to the water below. Around that time, in the apartment of Janet van Dyne, Janet and her husband Hank Pym are having a romantic interlude when they are interrupted by a bright flash and spot Spider-Man falling toward the water. Racing on the scene as Yellowjacket, Hank manages to save the Wall-Crawler from drowning. As Spider-Man is carried away, his unknown attacker looks on.
Waking up from a nightmare, Spider-Man finds himself in the Wasp's apartment and she and Hank explain what happened to him. When trying to figure out who could have attacked him, Spider-Man recalls a villain named Equinox who was defeated and seemingly destroyed in a battle against the Human Torch and Iceman, thanks to a tip that Spider-Man gave the Torch to put him on Equinox's trail. Spider-Man deduces that Equinox is probably coming after Spider-Man to settle the score. When Yellowjacket offers his help, Spider-Man refuses. However, before Spidey can be on his way, Equinox attacks, blowing open a hole through the apartment. The Wasp, Yellowjacket, and Spider-Man all jump at the criminal, however his flame and ice powers prove to be too much for them.
Meanwhile, not far away, Margay Sorenson - his mother and a leading scientist who has been trying to cure her son - happens upon the scene. At that moment Equinox is knocked out of the apartment and uses an ice slide to get to safety. Tracking him back to the Queensborough Bridge, there the heroes resume their fight, and Margay gets into the middle of the fight attempting to use a device to restore her son to normal. Having renounced his former human self and considering his mother's attempts to cure him a failure, Equinox attempts to crush her to death by throwing a car at her. Spider-Man swings by and saves her from that fate, however the exploding car belches debris all over the bridge, one piece striking and knocking out the Wasp.
Furious that his wife has been injured, Yellowjacket furiously attacks Equinox. While Spider-Man checks on the revived Wasp, Margay approaches them and tells them that she might have the cure for her son. Rejoining the battle, Spider-Man and the Wasp arrive just as Equinox shoots a flame blast at a tanker truck full of gasoline, causing a gigantic explosion that seemingly kills Yellowjacket. Surviving the blast, Equinox gloats over his killing of Yellowjacket. Horrified that she witnessed her husband's supposed death, the Wasp vows to get even with Equinox, by killing him.
This story is continued next issue...
- Despite their stock combative and bantering relationship, Hank Pym and Janet Pym are shown in a brief romantic and somewhat sensual scene in their Riverside Terrace home.
- Hank Pym acquires new powers this issue. His physiology will be enhanced by the ability to "bio-blast" from his body. He will no longer use his "Disruptor Gun". Janet van Dyne will also manifest similar powers as well as increased strength next issue.
- This issue contains a letters page, Web-Zingers. Letters are published from Elie Rosenfeld, Scott Welker, Larry Twiss, and Ken Meyer, Jr..
- As seen on page 2, this issue is dedicated to Roy Thomas who gave writer Chris Claremont his first writing job at Marvel Comics years ago.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Marvel Team-Up Vol 1 59 on the forums
- 7 Images from Marvel Team-Up Vol 1 59
- 2 Reprints of Marvel Team-Up Vol 1 59
|Like this? Let us know!|