Appearing in "Game Point!"
Synopsis for "Game Point!"
When an attack on Ben Grimm leads to a large amount of property damage, Alex Stone demands the police arrest him for the losses he's caused. After some time in jail, Matt Murdock comes to represent Ben in court.
During the court trial, witness after witness recount how Ben Grimm has caused untold damage and rampaged throughout the city on numerous occasions. With nobody coming to his defense, the angered Ben almost busts up the courtroom, but is stopped when Alicia bursts in and calms him down. The court finds Ben guilty and sentences him to prison.
- The Thing is living in a flophouse in this story because the Fantastic Four broke up after Mister Fantastic lost his powers earlier in Fantastic Four #178. The group eventually reunites in Fantastic Four #200.
- Unknown to all, Alex Stone is actually an android created by the Mad Thinker as revealed next issue.
- Matt Murdock has been a lawyer to the Fantastic Four since Daredevil #2.
- Stone mentions a number of incidents where the Thing damaged property in recent history:
- How he smashed Cleopatra's Needle battling the Hulk in Fantastic Four #25–26 (This is an editorial error; the battle was actually in Fantastic Four #112, as well as the reference to Ben destroying the carousel).
- Ben's more recent clash with the Silver Surfer in Fantastic Four #123
- The time that Ben ran amok due to a personality shift in Fantastic Four #111.
- Also when the Thing wrecked a bank battling the Crusader in Fantastic Four #165.