- My very name speaks of higher truths, higher goals. That is my identity. How can I deny it? How can I resent it?
- -- Shang-Chi
Appearing in "Smoke, Beads and Blood!"
- Black Jack Tarr
- Clive Reston
- Denis Nayland Smith (Behind the scenes)
- Leiko Wu
- Melissa Greville (Behind the scenes)
- Zaran the Weapon Master (Maximillian Zaran) (Behind the scenes)
- unnamed thugs
Races and Species:
Synopsis for "Smoke, Beads and Blood!"
Shang-Chi (Earth-616) meets with an old Chinese wise man in London's Limehouse District. He tells him that his spirit has been ill at ease, and that he is striving to define his purpose in life. After discussing the situation at length, the old man leads Shang into a rear parlor. There, he finds a second man who produces a gun and orders Shang-Chi out into the alley. Shang is disheartened to discover that the old man has sold him out.
Outside on the docks, several rough-looking individuals surround Shang, ready to take him down. Shang-Chi kicks up a rock to distract the thugs, before launching into them with a flurry of blows. He quickly defeats them all and interrogates one of the fallen adversaries. The man reveals that they are employed by someone named Zaran.
In Scotland, Jack Tarr conducts surveillance outside of an ancient estate. This is the last known appearance of Denis Nayland Smith. Jack suspects that something terrible has happened and prepares to contact Shang-Chi.
Back in London, Shang-Chi goes to Leiko Wu's apartment. He asks her about a night that they recently shared together, and wonders if what he remembered was real, or just some fanciful vision. Leiko grows very concerned for Shang-Chi's emotional state and tries to console him. As they talk, Shang receives Black Jack's telephone call.
- A follow-up storyline to this issue is revealed in Master of Kung Fu #101.
- The tagline for this issue is "Battle on the Waterfront!"
- Shang-Chi image gallery
- Shang-Chi appearances list
- Shang-Chi quotes page
- Black Jack Tarr chronology page
- Leiko Wu chronology page
- Zaran chronology page
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Master of Kung Fu Vol 1 76 on the forums
- 1 Images from Master of Kung Fu Vol 1 76
- Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1-33
- Master of Kung Fu #17-125
- Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1-6
- Special Marvel Edition #15-16
Links and References
- Shang-Chi at Wikipedia.
- Shang-Chi at the Marvel Directory
- Master of Kung Fu series index at the Grand Comics Database
|Like this? Let us know!|