Thirty years ago, Meredith Quill was sitting outside her house talking on the phone to her mother about her ex-boyfriend when she saw a spacecraft fall from the sky. She dragged the occupant out, revealing a man who spoke a foreign language and pointed his gun at her before he fainted. She took him into the house to nurse him back to health.
When the stranger awoke, Meredith was careful and pointed her shotgun at him. The man introduced himself as J'son, revealing he was an alien from the planet Spartax. J'son promised not to hurt her and said that all he wanted was to repair his ship and return home.
Time passed, and while J'son repaired his ship they both fell in love. The day however arrived and the ship was fixed. Meredith asked him to stay or could she go with him. He told her that it would be cruel and selfish of him to take her because he and his people were fighting a war with "a terrible enemy." J'Son said that Meredith would not be safe and he could not put her in a situation where he knew that to be true. J'son left Meredith with his Element Gun as a gift. Once J'son had departed, Meredith realized she was pregnant. She would later give birth to his son, Peter Quill.
Twenty years ago, when Peter was a 10-year-old boy, he returned home with bruises from trying to stop a bully at school. As he was washing up for dinner, his mother saw a bright light and two Badoon aliens emerged. Vowing to end the 'Spartax bloodline,' they killed Meredith. After Quill saw the aliens and his dead mother, he panicked and ran. As the aliens pursued, he grabbed a shotgun and managed to kill them with it. He then found a mysterious device in a closet. Seeing a bright light he fled the house, just before the alien ship destroyed it.
- Due to this retcon by Brian Michael Bendis, this could not be the same Meredith Quill who appeared in Marvel Preview #4.
- The story of how Meredith Quill met J'Son of Spartax was first told in Guardians of the Galaxy (Vol. 3) #0.1. An excerpt from that story had been published three months earlier in Marvel NOW! Point One #1 as a story that a time traveler told to S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Nick Fury, Jr. However, that excerpt had only recounted the circumstances of Meredith Quill's death and nothing about how she had met J'Son.
- In the excerpt, Meredith and Peter were living in Wisconsin when the Badoon came to make sure that "The Spartoi bloodline will not continue!" However, in the full version the Quills were living in Colorado when the Badoon came to ensure that "The Spartax bloodline will not continue!"
- 5 appearance(s) of Meredith Quill (Earth-616)
- 5 minor appearance(s) of Meredith Quill (Earth-616)
- 7 mention(s) of Meredith Quill (Earth-616)
- 3 image(s) of Meredith Quill (Earth-616)
- 2 quotation(s) by or about Meredith Quill (Earth-616)