Category Drop Down BoxesEdit
If it works, this could be a great idea. I'm pretty sure the list of categorized articles on a category page is not included when you import the page, (like the Minors), but I bet there's some way of getting around it. I'll work on the idea when I get some more free time. (It would also help if the forums were up). --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 05:08, 24 October 2007 (UTC)
- Cool! and agreed.... :( --M1shawhan 05:35, 24 October 2007 (UTC)
Hey, I've replaced the above image with 2099AD_Vol_1_1.jpg and linked it to the page. I didn't know how to mark it on the replacement needed page, and just wanted to let someone know. Tremere98
- Thanks for the heads up. I have deleted the other image as this one was MUCH better resolution and got the full cover. You can tag the other images as "Category:To Be Deleted" and make a small note as to the new page for the image, and we will delete the old images if you replace them. Also, you can use the "Image Template", like I did on the new images and you can tag in a lot of information that was not available before. Check it out for future reference: here. Good job and great scan! --M1shawhan 03:32, 22 October 2007 (UTC)
You wanna talk to Gaastra again about Transformers, GI Joe and Invincible? He's gettin' busy on those pages today. . . Have we decided if they belong on our site yet?
--Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 19:25, 13 October 2007 (UTC)
- Argh...the forums had a final word on this and I want to say that we decided to keep as long as they were all tagged in the name of the page...like "Optimus Prime (Transformers Universe)" or something to that effect. As they are still "Marvel" product and we are the database for such...We will have to hold on the slamming though until we have either a say from Jamie OR the forums come up and we can find out what "everyone" agreed on. --M1shawhan 21:01, 13 October 2007 (UTC)
Hey, I recently accidentally created a minor character under Rachel Summers (Earth-811), and then today realized that this is the mainstream character. Do you think you could move the mainstream page to the 811 title? I moved the other parts of the page already, so all you'll have are the redirects. : ) Thanks! --Peteparker 21:42, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
- Done --M1shawhan 21:45, 8 September 2007 (UTC)
I saw Jamie started converting the disambig pages to the template, and then I saw some things about the disambig template that were missing. I created a new disambig template here with the things I thought were missing, and here is the test page. I used Peter Parker's current disambig page as a basis. I copied this little blurb from Jamie's talk page, in case you don't read it, and wondered what you thought about the template. (Like if you'd use it if we made it the main disambig one). Let me know any suggestions. --Peteparker 20:28, 20 August 2007 (UTC)
- I like it fine, but what was changed?? --M1shawhan 23:19, 20 August 2007 (UTC)
- I added support for two additional galleries with variable names, and a gallery for 'Others' as well as one for 'PAGENAME Related'. I also put the discussion up on the forums for a vote, so you may need to consolidate my thoughts over there. ha!--Peteparker 03:46, 21 August 2007 (UTC)
Thanks for the heads up. I don't head to the forums often enough it seems. Yet when I do, it seems like there's nothing usually of interest there. Plus, there's SO much work HERE to do! I sometimes wish a page would stay up to date for at least a day. It's just like cleaning, every time you think you're done, it's time to start all over again.--Peteparker 05:09, 17 August 2007 (UTC)
Sorry bout that. Totally spaced about your new pages. I need to leave the main one open in a tab as a reminder. Should I be adding the ones I move to the pages that don't exist yet?--Peteparker 14:52, 14 August 2007 (UTC)
- By all means, change the name to fit the character page best...if you do change it, but it is similar to the name I suggested, please update my page to the name that was created. The overall goal of those pages is to see what character pages we have and also to give a suggestion for pages we don't yet. Feel free to update as needed and also mark the pages you think are needing changes and I will work them ASAP. --M1shawhan 22:56, 14 August 2007 (UTC)
Did you happen to find a reference for her name being spelled "Monroe"? I'd like to move it to Munroe.--Peteparker 18:53, 13 August 2007 (UTC)
- All I have seen is Munroe. For some reason, some sites (even Marvel.com) shows Monroe. The funny thing is that even on their same PAGE, it shows in the text as Monroe. Personally and phonetically it probably IS Munroe and I think it should be changed as well. This was part of my debate on that page. I say we should move it. I am working on moving things one-by-one per letter, but I will just on this one now. ;) --M1shawhan 23:20, 13 August 2007 (UTC)
One question is it Lilandra Neramini (Earth-616)or Lilandra Neramani (Earth-616)?? Greets Peter Wildenbeest 19:30, 13 August 2007 (UTC)
- Lilandra NeraMANI...I corrected my mistake. Thanks for catching. ;) --M1shawhan 23:20, 13 August 2007 (UTC)
Team or members of a team?!?!Edit
- Complicated response coming up. Ready? Good.
- I think that we should put all team members under a specialized category just for members, which would be a subcat of Category:Characters (or something like Category:Characters by Team).
- But the naming of these specialized categories is trickier. I think that, when the name of the team references the members of the team, that team members should be categorized in the team name. E.g. the team name is the Avengers, and each of its members is an Avenger. Therefore, every Avenger should be categorized in Category:Avengers, not Category:Avengers members.
- But, when the team name does not reference the team, as in the case of, for example, the Fantastic Four, then the word "members" is necessary. No member of that team is a Fantastic Four, but they are all Fantastic Four members.
- This idea may need to be refined, though. What do you think? -- Supermorff 12:22, 23 August 2007 (UTC)
I appreciate the praise, though I'm not exactly sure what I did on the Zeus page to warrant it. Jack Hammer 15:24, 24 August 2007 (UTC)
Hey, quick question. I recently edited A Next 1 1998 and will be continuing to edit/create articles in Earth-982. My question is, should I move A Next 1 1998 to A Next 1? I looked at Naming Conventions and the talk page where these changes were being discussed. I thought I would ask you because you seemed very vocal in the debate. -- GeorgeMcBain 18:05, 27 August 2007 (UTC)
- Ha, yes I am a little vocal on the subject. I would leave it for now. It probably will "eventually" be moving to the "A Next 1" or really what is being discussed is moving it to "A Next Vol 1 1" and then "A Next Vol 2 1" if there are others in Volume 2. Once the kinks are all worked out and we all come to an agreement with what everyone wants and will still be easily searched, we will start that move. For now, we have made the characters a priority. Meanwhile, please voice your opinion on the matter in the forums as the debate definitely grows on that and many other people "chat" in there. Hope this at least answered something though. --M1shawhan 00:22, 28 August 2007 (UTC)
Kang profile Edit
Thanks. He's one of my favorite characters, and I just thought it was a shame that one of the top 2 or 3 Avengers villains ever had a template profile. Once I get the Kang page completely to my liking, I'm going to start working on Ronan the Accuser, then maybe Ultron.
This guy's all yours, Mr. Adminy. : )--Peteparker 21:08, 4 September 2007 (UTC)
- Done :) --M1shawhan 00:20, 5 September 2007 (UTC)
- Done :) --M1shawhan 23:00, 12 September 2007 (UTC)
Gay Thor? Edit
What should we do with Thor's name? Is his real last name Odinson, or is that some garbage? Should he be Thor Odinson (Earth-616) or Thor (Earth-616) or Thor (Odinson) (Earth-616)? I've been avoiding him just for this reason alone. :) PS. PeteparkerBot is fixing our Cast variables! There's a surprising amount of stuff to remember when running a bot, but it's really easy to install it! User:Peteparker/Sig
- LOL..you gotta teach me that bot-thing. You on IM? I really think Thor Odinson is the REAL Thor. Named because he is..umm..Odin's son. Yeah, pretty cheesy, huh? Then, a human (Eric Masterson) took the hammer OF Thor and BECAME the embodiment of Thor...at least that's how I think it went. Truthfully, I don't know for sure and I am just BS'ing ya. LOL--M1shawhan 22:58, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
- I'd be happy to teach you what I know. I'm still at work, so it'd have to be later. I'll look for you on IM when I get on. (Keep an eye out for me if you're on). What do you think the pagename should be, Thor or Thor Odinson? User:Peteparker/Sig
- Personally, I would leave it Thor. I am heading out right now and this weekend is looking kinda iffy as far as my internet time...ACL weekend in Austin = Matt is having FUN! I will catch you on here sometime soon and I'll watch for ya on IM.
- I would leave the Thor thing as is for now...unless really botherin ya and then I would name it Thor (Earth-616). Truthfully, I think it is gonna be Eric Masterson (Earth-616) though...got me really. --M1shawhan 23:35, 14 September 2007 (UTC)
What were you thinking? Edit
Just kidding, that subject sounds worse than it is. I noticed that on July 22nd, you moved Iron Fist (Daniel Rand) to Daniel Thomas Rand-K'ai (Earth-616). Is there a reason his middle name is included? How about K'ai? Was that part of his birth name, or was it legally changed?
--Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 17:14, 20 September 2007 (UTC)
As per the instructions in this category, I am notifying you, (an adminy), that I'm going to begin tackling this category. If there is an associated appearances category with the character, I'm adding Category:Fix Links to it so my bot can fix them later. : )
--Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 21:30, 26 September 2007 (UTC)
- Ha! You have done well, my apprentice...lol. Thanks for the heads up though. Good to know that I am not the only one thinking of tackling this category! Woohoo! --M1shawhan 23:17, 18 September 2007 (UTC)
I made an explanation on how to put a bot together that I believe is a little easier to understand than the main wiki bot page. Check it out here, and I'm always available to answer questions!
--Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 17:12, 20 September 2007 (UTC)
- Now with pictures!
- --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 05:28, 22 September 2007 (UTC)
Disambig boxes Edit
I still don't like the disambig boxes, even though they've been prettied-up, and think the page would look better without them altogether. Check out what I like here and let me know what you think. The source code is here, and you can look at May Parker (Earth-982) for a comparison. --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 22:16, 21 September 2007 (UTC)
- I like it..lots! What does Jamie think bout it? --M1shawhan 03:47, 25 September 2007 (UTC)
- It'll probably be awhile before he can get to it, what with the new bambino and all. I put the same basic thing in the Character Template forum on. . . the forums. I hate it when I have to use the same word at the end of the sentence as I did earlier in the . . . sentence. Dang it!
- --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 04:30, 25 September 2007 (UTC)
- Check It
- I say roll with it for now. Worst case is that it is turned down...don't see it really happening though. LOL, Plus, all we have to do is change a billion records if we do...and that is nothing new! LOL
No, not lifting them. I wrote code so the weight field will automatically convert a number to the ___lbs. (__ kg) format, but I didn't know if I should put it in the Character Template and have PeteparkerBot convert all the character's weights to a single number without clearing it with Jamie first. I left messages for him, but I'm not sure how long it'll be before he's able to get back to em. What do you think? --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 21:21, 26 September 2007 (UTC)
- He'll probably want to put it in the template so that it will be automated going forward as well and just use the bot as a cleanup for the ones not using now. I would hold on this one. Still need to talk to you when Jamie and you are both online...has she had the kid yet?!?!? I haven't heard anything and I assumed they had since he appears absent lately. --M1shawhan 22:46, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
Firefox searches Edit
- Sweet...using it from now on and judged it to working perfectly. --M1shawhan 22:46, 27 September 2007 (UTC)
I'm already ten times ahead of you. I researched it and made a page last week.
I even drew a chart. It's at the bottom. That's how I've been judging everything PiranhaSister 01:05, 28 September 2007 (UTC)
- Sweet! Finally an answer! You are working very diligently and the progress is great. What do you think about eventually adding the powers to a specific "level" in the categories. If we can master the levels, I think we can make things work out real nice. --M1shawhan 23:18, 28 September 2007 (UTC)
- After reading more into it, it seems very hard to do it. Might need to rethink what I once thought about adding them to a specific categorized power... --M1shawhan 23:19, 28 September 2007 (UTC)
- Just that the levels seem to be 1) mutant specific...more people with powers other than mutants and 2) The designations for the levels seem to be too broad and not "power specific". Zeta for instance seems to be physical malformations rather than powers....
- It seems that it is almost an "evolutionary scale" rather than power-based. --M1shawhan 00:05, 29 September 2007 (UTC)
- It is evolutionary. The chart is roughly set up to measure the power of the mutation versus the likelyhood the mutant to pass his genes on. Given societal standards, a grotesque mutation would hamper an individual from procreating. Thus, even if a mutant could fly and shoot laser beams from his eyes, if it has an accompanying physical deformity, it could in fact be an inferior mutation because it decreases his ability to compete in the gene pool. That "Homo Superior" stuff is a complete misnomer.
- PiranhaSister 02:26, 3 October 2007 (UTC)
What's up with that picture? There's another page with the same problem. Is it because it was named with a special character inside it, or starting with numbers or what?
--Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 05:29, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
I've been trying to figure it out...I am gonna revert it back to when it was showing so you can see how it was with the error. --M1shawhan 18:32, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
- Whew...got it. I guess it was the size that was too big. I think I saw another ".png" extension though causing same issue yesterday as well. I adjusted it and saved it and it worked fine though. --M1shawhan 18:46, 30 September 2007 (UTC)
New Image Template Edit
I have just spent some time polishing our new Image Template.
My intention is that it will be applied to every single image on the database, in the same way the Character Template is on all character articles.
It should make categorizing & detailing our image collection much easier, especially for newbies.
The template is here and I have done up a few test images.
I was hoping for your help...
Could you try it out a bit? (It is the 2nd to last button on the edit tools bar.)
Please be harsh... if it sucks, tell me how to improve it! :)
Any and all feedback is appreciated!
--Jamie 06:39, 1 October 2007 (UTC)
I gots the bots Edit
Bots can fix double redirects! Hallelujah! So the only other things that stay incorrect created when a page is moved are your list and Squirreloid's list. The bot can go thorough these two lists, making the links correct (go straight to the pages, not to redirects), but it will keep them looking the same (using the '|' thing). What do you think about that? --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 00:36, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
- I am fine with it, though for the time being do you think it would be possible to have it just CHANGE the name on the page...I am still going through and adding things (slowly lately) and have only worked my way backwards from Z now to U...ugh, makes it sound even slower when I type it out. Otherwise, if too much trouble, I am fine with it being the "|". Once I get through I am gonna make another run-through to clean up the pages that are now "actively" pointed at Category:Characters. Just let me know what you think.
- PS - Your bot kicks *&*@!!!! ;) --M1shawhan 04:20, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
- I may be able to do it, but it requires learning enough Python Programming Language to alter the pre-existing program. I haven't looked at it yet, so I'm not sure I can figure it out, but I am optimistic!
- PeteParkerBot says thanks!
- --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 19:33, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
- Works for me! Sweet! --M1shawhan 23:24, 12 October 2007 (UTC)
thanks for fiximng my user page I couldn't find the template for users.
- LOL!!! You ROCK! --M1shawhan 23:25, 19 October 2007 (UTC)
Well. . . there were a couple of Comics volumes in the Move Category which stated they needed to be moved according to the Naming Conventions. I took a look at those, and they actually say comic pages should be named "Comics:Whatever Vol # #", so I moved them accordingly. I figured that even if the conventions are going to change in the future, the pages would be correctly named for now. Not that I want to jump into re-naming all the other thousands of comic pages. . . yeesh.
Too bad the forums are down, I would have looked there for the current comic naming feelings before movin em. With bots covering the double redirects, moving 30 pages isn't that hard anymore, so we can always change them back if they were correctly named to begin with. : ) --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 04:41, 20 October 2007 (UTC)
- That's cool...just thought I would check. We'll hold on the move back till the forums come back up. Want to make sure that we are still planning on the change to the Comics: use on all titles. I forgot we had planned that at first. --M1shawhan 16:36, 20 October 2007 (UTC)
Which did you send it to, Gmail or marveldatabase mail? I don't think my marveldatabase email account is set up yet. --Your Friendly Neighborhood Peteparker (talk • contribs • email) 00:53, 28 October 2007 (UTC)
- LOL...neither - Hotmail...lol --M1shawhan 05:50, 28 October 2007 (UTC)
I want the cheyarafim article as a subcategory under mutants, because there will potentially be characters that will someday be attached to the cheyarafim category. We are, sooner or later, going to be automagicking the Affiliation field in the character template so that characters are automatically added to their teams. As far as I know, there is no way to two-way link an article to another article. You need categories for that. Besides, organizationally it should go Race>Mutants>Cheyarafim>Individual Cheyarafim Characters. I don't see the sense in separating the content of the article from its category page. There are just too many character articles under Mutants for anyone to go hunting for the Cheyarafim article. The Category page should have both the overview and the members. Can you please explain your logic to me? PiranhaSister 23:41, 31 October 2007 (UTC)
- Go ahead and revert the edits. I think the messagebox is a little much. I think what we need is a new, shorter template for those categories that also need to have article-style information. One that doesn't automatically display blank fields, like "Equipment: None known." One just for display purposes that still provides a feel consistent with the rest of the site. A short history and a picture. It'll then link to in-depth histories, members, galleries, appearances, vehicles, etc. should they exist. Those big ones clunk it up.
- Ha, I will have to check and see what I changed last night. Trust me, I agree wholeheartedly on the stuff that is not there shouldn't be shown. We do it for the infoboxes, why not the page itself. This has been brought up a couple times and there is disagreement between many people (I wish more people would voice opinions in the forums...if they are up.) The message box was not my idea, but I think that there should be SOME way to highlight the info for the category. Make comments about both on the talk pages for the time being if opinions/suggestions/anger over any page so that we can use those while the forums are being worked out.
- Another problem is that when you categorize a character, an item, and location, and a vehicle, the category page doesn't differentiate between them and lumps them all together. I get what you're saying with the disambig, but a lot of teams just have members, they don't all have vehicles and equipment and special items, so going with Excalibur>Excalibur Vehicles is a bit silly. It's really only the Avengers, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four who are decked out with fancy headquarters and vehicles and uniforms and devices. It'd be more consistent to attach everything the team itself and have the computer sort it out. If the computer could separate everything and maybe even put different types of articles in fancy boxes inside the organized template, you could get rid of a bunch of template fields.
- I didn't mean to have a category for EVERYTHING and I don't think we should. Seems like we are getting that way though..but that's an issue for another time...I meant that "Category:Excalibur", for example, should house ALL the articles that it is a part of, ex) Excalibur's Lighthouse page should be attached with Category:Excalibur as it is related to this category.
- I don't know enough to say how it would work, but I know when I look at my watchlist, it separates between characters, comics, and user pages. Maybe a variation on that. With the bots we have now, we can change all the page names to look like Vehicle:Quinjet, Item:Thor's Hammer, Location:Xavier's Institute if that's what it takes to separate these things. Of course, linking would be a pain in the ass if you had to write "Character:Iron Man" every time (another reason I don't like all those (Earth-616)'s), but if the computer could be told not to include the ugly part of the page name, it might fix all our Teams issues. BTW, I think the team template should have a sponsor field, so we can see who's paying for everything. It might be a little fun to follow the money. I know it's not relevant, but I want to write it down before I forget.
- AGREED on both...let me look into a "|Sponsor =" field and we can play around with it to see if it works out the way you want, cause I think that is a needed field as MANY teams are sponsored by somebody...I just thought of about 10 when I read that. Let me know when you are on so we can check things out -- BTW, if you have a messenger, let me know. I have yahoo & Windows msgrs. My username is "email@example.com" and hotmail.com accordingly.
- The multiple parent category problem isn't likely to go away. "Mutant" is both a Race and an Origin. You'll be doubling up on all of those. Depowered Mutants should be accessible as a subset of Mutants and as a subset of Characters With No Powers. Winged Characters go under flight (as wings are one of several methods of flying) and under Physical Features. Some people have multiple origins, being alien mutant clone hybrids irradiated by gamma rays or whatever. You might be able to cut down by putting "Depowered Mutant" in the Origin field, and that's fine for Neo and Neyaphem, but gets tricky when combined Alpha Level Mutants and the like with the status as powered or depowered and taking their sub-race into consideration.
- Truthfully, I think the Category:Characters by Species, Race, or Type covers both Race, Origin AND Type and that Mutants is a type of character...As far as wings go, this shows only a possibility of flight. Trust me, you'll run across some winged character that cannot fly, much like you do in the real world (ostriches, emus, dodos, penguins, broken winged beings)...bad examples, but you get the idea. Flight is an ability and not a physical feature. This is where I disagree with your logic and the categorization process. While an X-Men character may mean that you are a mutant, if we add "Category:Mutant" to "Category:X-Men" and then plug an article with Category:X-Men, that article is then "tagged" as being a part of the category "Mutant", though not IN the category itself. Now that would normally be fine, but let's say Moira MacTaggert, a human and an X-Men character, was tagged with Category:X-Men, she suddenly has Category:Mutant on her page...when she is not.
- My overall point was not to say that you were incorrect in your process OR with what you were doing overall. It was more or less to let you see what had happened and to make sure that it was, if nothing else addressed to let you and others make the choice of what was wanting to be shown, while at the same time retaining the integrity of the site and information.
- (Sub-races aren't too big of an issue now, as the Neo and the Neyaphem are the only ones extant as far as I know, but Peter David has a subplot going on with Jamie Madrox in his X-Factor series which might require us to further divide mutants into subraces depending on what age their powers activated. If that turns into something big, we'll have a lot of work in front of us. And who knows where they're going with repowerment in the Messiah Complex event. It's best to get it resolved early.)
- When I categorize a character, I try to imagine what the user will want to experience while browsing through the categories, not necessarily what he or she will want to see at the bottom of the page. For instance, I have Colossus under both Superhuman Durability and under Metal Body, a subset of Superhuman Durability, because the user may want to see all super-durable characters regardless of method, or may just want to see the ones with metal skin. That uglies the bottom list a little, putting two categories instead of one, and I can stop doing it if you want, but I like it because it helps those users who are just curious and looking around. Who knows, maybe it will even help people writing comics, real ones or that fan fiction stuff, who are looking for a super-durable character to put in their stories. Although, if we wanted build the site to do that, we should make a search tool that searches for characters based on multiple criteria, like "Superhuman Durability" AND "Flight" AND "Wings." The point is that we can't know what people are going to do with the site, so we should give them the greatest amount of options. It's a database, so let them slice the data however they want. Big, ugly category listings might be inevitable.
- PiranhaSister 06:01, 1 November 2007 (UTC)
- Of course we all want a good experience for everyone (I promise that I am not a heartless admin ;) ), but at the same time, aesthetics IS part of that experience...I agree that each ARTICLE should be in every category that it is "in", metal body and superhuman Durability. This way as you head through the categories you are left with whatever does NOT fit that category, such as Characters-->Sex-->etc...as long as we watch the "categories" that would be made a subcategory if we add them.
- By the way, we can "search" by multiple fields in the site. It was actually a code that you could put in and run the search. Of course the forums are still down and this had the answer...I personally feel that a Boolean search would be just as good, but who am I to state the obvious to Wiki. :( --M1shawhan 00:36, 2 November 2007 (UTC)
- Yes, I asked for booleans a while ago. Once we get that, a little advertising of what it can do will go a long way. Ultimately the problem is that we're trying to cobble a database together out of html links instead of using actual database software. However, I don't think we have the scratch to buy a copy of Sharepoint or Lotus.
- PiranhaSister 04:36, 2 November 2007 (UTC)